David T. McKnight*
David McKnight is a member of the firm’s Insurance, Defamation + Publication Risk Management, and Local Government Practices. His practice is in the area of insurance litigation defence and includes construction litigation, fire loss, police claims, personal injury, property damage and defamation. David also regularly provides coverage opinions and handles subrogated claims on behalf of insurers. He has extensive experience in both the British Columbia Supreme Court and Court of Appeal and works closely with clients to resolve actions through trial, mediation and the settlement process.
In 2012 to 2015, David was recognized by Benchmark Canada as a leading litigator in British Columbia.
Legal Industry Recognition
- David has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the publication, Best Lawyers in Canada, from 2014 to 2016 for Insurance Law.
- Successfully defended judicial review of an administrative tribunal decision (Jalloh v. Insurance Council of British Columbia, 2016 BCSC 47)
- Successfully defended an occupiers liability/personal injury action (Nerland v. TD Bank, 2016 BCSC 45)
- Successfully defended class action certification (Monaco v. City of Coquitlam, 2015 BCSC 2421)
- Successfully defended a real estate subdivision/construction action (Dick v. City of Coquitlam, 2013 BCSC 1698)
- Successfully defended an internet defamation action (Carter v. B.C. Federation of Foster Parents Association)
- Successfully defended a defamation and negligence action (P.G. Restaurant Ltd. v. Northern Interior Regional Health Board et al)
- Successfully defended a building inspection/construction action (Parsons v. City of Richmond)
- Successfully defended a real estate subdivision action (Forster v. City of Nanaimo)
- Successfully defended a negligence/defamation/interference with contractual relations action (William v. City of Kelowna).
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Ad IDEM/Canadian Media Lawyers Association, Member; and
- Canadian Bar Association, British Columbia Branch, Member (Banking, Insolvency, Commercial Litigation, Construction, Municipal Insurance Law and Administrative Law Subsections)
- 1994 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1992 Judicial Law Clerk British Columbia Supreme Court
- 1992 LL.B. University of British Columbia
- 1988 M.A. University of Saskatchewan
- 1984 B.A. (Hons.) University of Saskatchewan
Publications + Presentations
- 2015, Canadian Institute, Law of Policing Conference – Speaker;
- 2014, BC Society of Fellows – Fire Services Liability – Speaker;
- 2013, BC RIMA – Libel and Slander – Speaker;
- 2012, Police and Law Enforcement Conference, Vancouver – Co-Chair;
- 2011, CIAA/CICMA Pacific Region, Vancouver, Speaker on insurers’ duties to defend and indemnify;
- 2011, ARC Conference, Toronto, Guest Speaker on Libel and Slander in the Electronic Age; and
- November 2009 and March 2010, City of Vernon & Township of Langley – Lead Speaker on Fire Services Liability Conference.