Emma J. Ferguson
Emma Ferguson is a member of our Wills, Estates + Trusts Practice Group.
Emma has a broad wills, estates and trusts practice. She advises clients on all aspects of estate and incapacity planning, including wills, alter ego, joint partner and family trusts, powers of attorney and healthcare representation agreements. Emma has experience assisting clients with disabilities or their family members with planning to protect government disability benefits, and advises clients on adult guardianship matters including applications to be appointed committee for an incapacitated family member. Emma also advises clients on the administration of estates, including applications for grants of probate and letters of administration.
Emma’s family law practice is focused on drafting and advising clients on marriage and cohabitation agreements. She is assisted in this regard by her previous family law litigation experience in a broad array of issues including division of property, spousal support, child support and parenting arrangements. Emma frequently advises clients on agreements involving complex financial and commercial structures, trusts and multiple jurisdictions.
Emma regularly presents on topics related to wills, estates and trusts and family law, and has a particular interest in the intersection of these two areas of law. She has presented for the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, the Pacific Business & Law Institute and to community groups and other organizations.
After completing law school, Emma acted as a judicial law clerk for six justices of the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
Prior to joining Alexander Holburn, Emma practised in the areas of wills, estate and trusts, and family law, at an international law firm.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Wills and Estates subsection, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Family Law subsection, Member
- Estate Planning Council of Vancouver, Member
- Pro Bono Law of BC, Wills & Estates Program, Volunteer
- 2007 admitted to the BC Bar
- 2005, University of Victoria, LL.B.
- 2000, University of British Columbia, B.A.
Publications + Presentations
- March 3, 2017, “Trusts for Aging, Death and Divorce”, Interplay Between Aging, Death and Divorce, Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (CLEBC), Speaker
- October 6, 2016, “Transfers and Joint Property Ownership under the Wills, Estates & Succession Act and the Family Law Act”, The Integration of Family Law and Estate Law, Speaker
- April 20, 2016, “Incapacity Planning”, Autism Society of BC, Speaker
- April 12, 2016, “Spousal Support in the Disability Context”, Essential Tools for Disability Planning and Practice, Pacific Business & Law Institute, Speaker
- 2016 and 2008-2014, “Family Law Chapter” Annual Review of Law and Practice, CLEBC, Co-author
- March 16, 2016, “Estate Planning”, Autism Society of BC, Speaker
- June 20, 2014, “Who is a Spouse under the Family Law Act?”, The FLA for Estates Practitioners, CLEBC, Speaker
On A Personal Note
Emma enjoys skiing and hiking on the North Shore, and travelling, with her family. She is also an avid consumer of British television crime dramas.