Ingrid M. Tsui*
Ingrid Tsui is a Partner at the firm and a member of the Corporate / Commercial Practice Group. Ingrid works as general counsel to a number of local and international businesses on a wide variety of their legal needs, from startup, to operations and growth and ultimately to sale. She also regularly advises on the implementation of corporate reorganization and restructuring.
Ingrid is the leader of our Wills, Estates + Trusts Practice Group. She assists individuals in their unique estate planning needs, advising on wills, trusts, incapacity planning and other tools to minimize taxes on death and to effectively provide for beneficiaries. She also advises executors and administrators on probate and estate administration matters.
Ingrid has received her designation as a recognized member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners as a senior practitioner in this field.
Ingrid is also the leader of our Charities + Non-Profit Practice Group, providing advice on a variety of legal matters, including governance.
Ingrid is a contributing author to The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (CLEBC)’s Probate and Estate Administration Practice Manual and Annotated Estates Practice, and regularly teaches on estate planning and administration topics. She has been recognized by the CLEBC as one of their top contributors to over 30 seminars, courses and books in the last ten years.
Ingrid is also the leader of our Immigration Practice Group, primarily advising businesses on their immigration needs.
Ingrid is also a member of our Health Law Practice Group.
At Alexander Holburn, Ingrid chairs the Women’s Forum, a group dedicated to promoting business development and networking opportunities among our female lawyers, paralegals and female clients.
Legal Industry Recognition
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of Trusts and Estates in 2018
Corporate / Commercial:
- Advises general corporate owners and businesses of various sizes
- Advising on corporate structure and corporate reorganization
- Advising on the purchase and sale of businesses
- General business advice to corporations, societies, not-for-profit organizations and charities
- Applications for charitable status
- General estate planning advice regarding wills, power of attorney instruments, representation agreements, advance directives, trusts and corporate reorganizations
- Estate administration including probate and other administration applications
- Incapacity planning and committee applications
- Temporary resident applications, including work permits, study permits and visitor permits
- Permanent resident applications under programs such as the Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Program, Provincial Nominee Program and Family Sponsorship
Professional + Community Affiliations
- VDC Dance Centre Society (Scotiabank Dance Centre), Chair
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, Member
- Estate Planning Council of Vancouver, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- 2005 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 2004 LL.B. University of Alberta
- 2001 B.A. Simon Fraser University
Publications + Presentations
- “Probate Practice Manual”, CLEBC, Annual Contributor (ongoing)
- “Power of Attorney Act”, CLEBC Annotated Estates Practice, Annual, Co-editor (ongoing)
- January 2018, “Estate Planning Done Right: Planning Outside of the Estate”, Pacific Business Law Institute, Speaker
- November 17, 2017, “Corporate Law and Implications of New Tax Changes”, BC Podiatric Medical Association, Speaker
- September 2017, guest panelist at Advocis Estate Planning Conference
- September 2017, “Choose Your Own Adventure: When Jointly Held Assets Become Trusts”, Industry Webinar
- September 2017, “Understanding probate: dual will planning encouraged”, BCBusiness, Author
- May 2017, “Estate planning from a family law perspective”, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, Speaker
- January 2017, “The Zombie Effect: Inter Vivos Estate Planning”, Pacific Business Law Institute, Speaker
- January 2016, “Estate Planning in Consideration of WESA”, Pacific Business Law Institute, Speaker
- January 2015, “Dealing with Beneficiaries in Administering a BC Estate”, Pacific Business Law Institute, Speaker
- 2014, “The Law of Escheat in Canada”, 34:1 Estates, Trusts & Pensions Journal 40, Co-author with A. MacKay and A. Winters
- January 2014, “Drafting Key Wills Clauses”, Pacific Business Law Institute, Speaker
- June 2011, “Setting Up a Business Entity in Canada”, Building Bridges to Prosperity Cross Border Symposium, Speaker
- June 22, 2011, “Incapacity Planning: The New Law, Transitional Issues”, CLEBC, Co-author
- Presenter to various community groups on estate planning topics, including “Top 10 Myths of Estate Planning” and “Everything I Need to Know About Estate Planning I Learned in Kindergarten”
- 2009, “Intra-company Transferees”, CLEBC Working Your Way Into Canada, Speaker
- Presenter to various community groups on different immigration issues, such as how foreign workers can obtain working status in Canada
On A Personal Note
Ingrid enjoys the local and international arts scene and particularly enjoys watching and practising ballet. She has been fortunate to travel to many places, but is always happy to return to Vancouver.
Assistant: Kelly Pedersen
Direct Line: 604.643.2196
* Professional Law Corporation