Jo Ann Carmichael*, QC
Jo Ann Carmichael, Q.C. is a Partner at Alexander Holburn.
Ms. Carmichael’s practice is primarily litigation based. She is a member of the firm’s Insurance and Family Practices. Ms. Carmichael commonly represents insurers with respect to life, accident and disability insurance matters and has a particular interest in fraud and bad faith claims. She also represents clients in family law matters, dealing with many clients in transition due to death, divorce, second marriages and preserving wealth through marriage agreements and estate planning.
Legal Industry Recognition
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in the publication, Best Lawyers in Canada, since 2012 for Insurance Law and Family Law;
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel for the Province of British Columbia in 2000; and
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking: Distinguished Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Member, CLE-TV Ethics Advisory Committee;
- Member, Medical Legal Society of British Columbia;
- Member, Discipline Committee (1998-2009);
- Member, Federal Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee (2002-2006);
- Chair, Paralegals Task Force (2001-2002);
- Chair, Access to Justice Working Group (2001);
- Vice-Chair, Credentials Committee (2001);
- Member, Credentials Committee (2000);
- Vice-Chair, Equity and Diversity Committee (1999);
- Member, Practice Standards Committee (1998);
- Bencher of the British Columbia Law Society (1998-2002);
- Ad Hoc Member, Discipline Committee (1996-1998); and
- Director, Vancouver Bar Association (1982-1984).
- 2000 Appointed Queen’s Counsel
- 1977 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1976 LL.B. Dalhousie University
Publications + Presentations
Ms. Carmichael is a frequent speaker at Continuing Legal Education and insurance industry conferences. Recent papers and presentations include:
- July 2010, Advocacy Workshop, Continuing Legal Education, Guest Speaker;
- April, 2010, “Examining General Exclusion Clauses”, Disability Claims Conference, Insight;
- May 2009, “Challenges of Work Phobia and Risk of Relapse”, Canadian Life and Health Insurance Claims Section Annual Conference, Speaker;
- May 2009, “Practical Mediation Skills for Counsel: Discussion of Best Practices”, Dispute Resolution Conference, Speaker;
- April 23, 2009 , “Work Phobia and Risk of Relapse”, Medical–Legal Society, Speaker;
- June, 2008, “Life and Disability Insurance: A Primer”, Canadian Insurance Coverage Symposium, Speaker;
- November 2004,“Recent Developments in the Law of Limitation Periods in Disability Insurance”, Continuing Legal Education, Speaker; and
- April, 2004, “Defending Bad Faith Claims: Creative Approaches”, Insight.