John W. Elwick*
John Elwick is a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation, Insurance and Labour + Employment Law Practices. His practice in the general commercial litigation area is primarily focused on employment, pension and benefits and insurance law. His employment law practice involves advising both employers and employees on employment law issues and acting as counsel in employment law litigation. In his pension and benefits practice, Mr. Elwick acts for trust companies, third party administrators and employers and employees on various pension matters. His insurance practice is primarily directed to acting as local counsel for several national insurance companies in life and disability claims as well as undertaking regulatory work for insurance companies. Mr. Elwick also has an administrative law specialty in property tax assessment representing owners of commercial and industrial properties in tax appeals before administrative boards and the courts.
Legal Industry Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking: Distinguished Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement
- Acting as counsel in employment, pension, life and disability cases. Has appeared in class action cases involving group employee dismissals, pension plan windups and pension surplus cases;
- Appearing in insurance regulatory hearings before the British Columbia Utilities Commission as well as acting for insurers in matters involving National and Provincial insurance regulators;
- Representing industrial and commercial property owners in appeals before the Property Assessment Appeal Board and the courts; and
- Serving in a general counsel capacity for two of British Columbia’s largest non-profit societies, coordinating legal work and advising in such areas as contract preparation, litigation and board governance.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member;
- British Columbia Branch of the CBA (“BCCBA”), Member;
- Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (Legal Section), Member;
- Canadian Pension and Benefits Institute, Member;
- Canadian Property Tax Association, Member; and
- British Columbia Life & Casualty Company, Board Member.
- 1968 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1967 LL.B. University of Manitoba
Publications + Presentations
- February 2013, “Emerging Issues in Disability Management – Privacy: Rights, Obligations and Remedies”, prepared for and presented at the Canadian Health & Wellness Innovations Conference, Chandler, Arizona;
- February 2013, “Emerging Issues in Disability Management – Duty to Accommodate”, prepared for and presented at the Canadian Health & Wellness Innovations Conference, Chandler, Arizona;
- October, 2012, “Administrative Services Only Agreements and the Duties of Employers in Disability Claims”, prepared for and presented at inSight Disability Claims Management and Litigation Conference, Vancouver, B.C.;
- April 2009, “Protecting your Business With a Restrictive Covenant”, Canadian Underwriter Magazine;
- June 2009, “Judicial Review/Commissioner’s Rates Appeals” prepared and presented at the Industrial Seminar organized by BC Chapter of the Canadian Property Tax Association; and
- April 2005, “Assessment & Taxation of P3s (occupation issues)” prepared and presented at a Continuing Legal Education seminar on Real Property Assessment.
On A Personal Note
John moved to Vancouver from Winnipeg in 1967 to practice law. He and wife Penny, married 45+ years, have 3 married children and 7 grandchildren. A long-time resident of West Vancouver, John has been involved in various community activities, such as coaching soccer and serving on the board of the local swim club. He is a member of the Terminal City Club and a board member of a Maui condo association. Particular interests include golf, swimming, aqua-fit workouts, photography and overseas travel.