Manjit K. Grewal
Manjit Grewal is a member of the firm’s Insurance and Motor Vehicle Practices. Her insurance practice is litigation-based with an emphasis on personal injury and disability claims, as well as travel and life insurance claims. As a Registered Nurse and Occupational Health Nurse, Manjit has extensive experience in reviewing medical reports and dealing with a wide variety of stakeholders including medical practitioners, employers, union representatives and insurance companies. Manjit’s family law practice includes all matters relating to drafting co-habitation agreements, marriage agreements and separation agreements. In addition, all matters relating to child and spousal support, custody access, property division and divorce.
Manjit obtained her Diploma in Nursing in 1992, BSN in 1996, M.Ed in 2000, and her LL.B in 2007 from the University of British Columbia.
Manjit has assisted senior counsel with hearings before the British Columbia Supreme Court and has appeared before British Columbia Provincial Court on a variety of matters. Manjit also has experience in mediations, settlement conferences, judicial case conferences, pre-trial conferences and applications to a judge.
- 2008 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 2007 LL.B University of British Columbia
- 2000 M.Ed. University of Calgary (Specialization in Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies)
- 1996 B.Sc (Nursing) University of British Columbia
- 1992 Diploma in Nursing
Publications + Presentations
- November/December 2013: “New Family Law Act – Expanding the Definition of ‘Spouse’. How professionals can help their own owner/manager clients”, article, Chartered Professional Accountants British Columbia (CPABC) magazine, InFocus.
- September 24, 2013: “Duty to Accommodate: A Practical Perspective” – Infonex Conference, “Human Resources Management for First Nations, Aboriginal, Inuit, and Metis Communities”.
- June 12, 2013: “Personal Injury for Paralegals and Legal Support Staff 2013” Medical Records Overview – CLE BC compreshensive one-day introduction to personal injury for legal support staff.
- May 9, 2013: “The New Family Law Act – What You Need to Know”, presented to the TD Wealth Financial Planning Group;
- March 20, 2013: “Overview of the New Family Law Act“, presented to Assante Wealth Management Group;
- March 15, 2013: “Child Support – what this means for parents, guardians, guardians who are not parents, and step-parents”: Law Courts Centre lecture series on the new Family Law Act for non-family practitioners.
- March 14, 2013: “Child-centred approach to children – the best interests of the child is the only consideration under the new Family Law Act“: Law Courts Centre lecture series on the new Family Law Act for non-family practitioners.
- March 13, 2013: “Spousal Support – changes under the new Family Law Act“: Law Courts Centre lecture series on the new Family Law Act for non-family practitioners.
- March 12, 2013: “Family Property, Family Debt and Excluded Property”: Law Courts Centre lecture series on the new Family Law Act for non-family practitioners.
- March 10, 2013: “A Guide to the new Family Law Act“, community presentation, Bonsor Recreation Centre, Burnaby.
- March 8, 2013: “Spouse can include an unmarried couple under the new Family Law Act”: Law Courts Centre lecture series on the new Family Law Act for non-family practitioners.
- February 2013: “Emerging Issues in Disability Management – Duty to Accommodate”, prepared for the 2013 Canadian Health and Wellness Innovation Conference – co-author with John Elwick.
- January 29, 2013: “Medico-Legal Studies 101: How to Read and Understand Medical Terminologies”, Law Courts Centre;
- October 14, 2011: “Personal Injury for Legal Support Staff”, CLE-BC presentation.
- 2002, Disability Claims Management, 2nd Edition, Co-author and Co-Editor, Butterworths, 2002.
- 2000 – “Psychosocial Factors: Barriers to Re-employment of Workers Disabled by Occupational Low Back Pain and Chronic Pain”, Author, International Journal of Practical Approaches to Disability, 2000, 24(1-3), 40.