R. Hoops Harrison*
Hoops Harrison practises in the area of civil litigation with a focus on corporate restructuring and insolvency related matters. He also specializes in foreclosure law and operational matters specific to financial institutions.
Hoops has appeared before all levels of Court in British Columbia and Alberta as well as the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List).
Hoops has a special interest in advocacy and access to justice, has been a speaker and panelist on legal and government policy matters and has recently been appointed to British Columbia’s Civil Resolution Tribunal – Canada’s first online Tribunal for resolving strata and small claims disputes.
- Realization Counsel for major financial institutions
- General Counsel for international auction, liquidation and valuation corporation and international facilities management company
- Counsel to residential and commercial property matters including leasing, forfeiture, trust claims and dispositions
- Lead or associate Counsel in insolvency related litigation proceedings including: Nortel Networks Corporation; Forest & Marine Financial Corporation et al.; Canadian Petcetera LP; Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. et al; Linens’ N Things Canada Corp.; Royal Bank of Canada v. Mr. Rubbles Recycling Inc. et al; Leslie & Irene Dube Foundation Inc. v. P218 Enterprises Ltd.; Vancouver City Savings Credit Union, In Trust v. Woolworth (2014 BCSC 1439); Experienced Equipment Sales & Rentals Inc.; A.& B. Sound Ltd.; Nexient Learning Canada Inc.; SMK Speedy International Inc.; GTS Energy Canada Inc.; Sport Swap Ltd; Perdue v. Chalet Europe Hotel & Management Ltd. et al.; British Columbia Housing Management Commission et al. v. Downtown Eastside Residents Association Housing Society et al.; Tobber Holdings Corp. and North Peace Savings Credit Union v. Tobber Holdings Corp.; 269893 Alberta Ltd. v. Otter Bay Development Ltd.
- Vancouver City Savings Credit Union, In Trust v. Woolworth, 2014 BCSC 1439
- Leslie & Irene Dube Foundation Inc. v. P218 Enterprises Ltd., 2014 BCSC 1855
- GE Commercial v. R.L. Hillman & Co. Inc., 2016 BCSC 2289
Professional + Community Affiliations
- British Columbia Civil Resolution Tribunal, Tribunal Member
- Fraser Health Authority, Patient Care Quality Review Board, Board Member
- Islands Trust Fund Board, Board Member
- 2006 Admitted to the B.C. Bar
- 2004 Admitted to the Alberta Bar
- University of Calgary, LL.B./J.D. (Dean’s List)
- University of Alberta, B.A.
Publications + Presentations
- 2011-2016, Law Society of British Columbia Practice Checklists Manual – Foreclosure Procedure, Contributing Editor
- 2009, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act relating to Proposals, CLEBC Bankruptcy & Insolvency, Speaker
On A Personal Note
Hoops is passionate about helping to preserve BC’s unique ecosystems, including the Islands of the Salish Sea. Personally, he enjoys spending time kayaking or, at least, writing fictional screenplays about himself kayaking.