R. Hoops Harrison*
Hoops Harrison is the group leader for the firm’s Insolvency + Restructuring practice. He practises in the area of business litigation with a focus on corporate restructuring and insolvency related matters. He also specializes in realization/foreclosure law and operational matters specific to financial institutions.
Hoops has appeared before all levels of Court in British Columbia and Alberta as well as the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List).
Hoops also has a special interest in advocacy and access to justice. He has recently been appointed to British Columbia’s Civil Resolution Tribunal – Canada’s first online Tribunal for resolving strata and small claims disputes, as well as British Columbia’s Employment Standards Tribunal.
- Realization Counsel for major financial institutions
- General Counsel for international auction, liquidation and valuation corporation and international facilities management company
- Counsel to residential and commercial property matters including leasing, forfeiture, trust claims and dispositions
- Lead or associate Counsel in insolvency related litigation proceedings including: Nortel Networks Corporation; Forest & Marine Financial Corporation et al.; Canadian Petcetera LP; Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. et al; Linens’ N Things Canada Corp.; Royal Bank of Canada v. Mr. Rubbles Recycling Inc. et al; Leslie & Irene Dube Foundation Inc. v. P218 Enterprises Ltd.; Vancouver City Savings Credit Union, In Trust v. Woolworth (2014 BCSC 1439); Experienced Equipment Sales & Rentals Inc.; A.& B. Sound Ltd.; Nexient Learning Canada Inc.; SMK Speedy International Inc.; GTS Energy Canada Inc.; Sport Swap Ltd; Perdue v. Chalet Europe Hotel & Management Ltd. et al.; British Columbia Housing Management Commission et al. v. Downtown Eastside Residents Association Housing Society et al.; Tobber Holdings Corp. and North Peace Savings Credit Union v. Tobber Holdings Corp.; 269893 Alberta Ltd. v. Otter Bay Development Ltd.
- Vancouver City Savings Credit Union, In Trust v. Woolworth, 2014 BCSC 1439
- GE Commercial v. R.L. Hillman & Co. Inc., 2016 BCSC 2289
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- British Columbia Civil Resolution Tribunal, Tribunal Member
- Employment Standards Tribunal, Tribunal Member
- Islands Trust Fund Board, Board Member
- Fraser Health Authority, Patient Care Quality Review Board, Past Board Member
- 2006 Admitted to the B.C. Bar
- 2004 Admitted to the Alberta Bar
- LL.B/J.D. University of Calgary (Dean’s List)
- B.A. University of Alberta
Publications + Presentations
- 2011-2017, Law Society of British Columbia Practice Checklists Manual – Foreclosure Procedure, Contributing Editor
- 2017, CLE Foreclosure Practice, Speaker
- 2009, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act relating to Proposals, CLEBC Bankruptcy & Insolvency, Speaker
On A Personal Note
Hoops is passionate about helping to preserve BC’s unique ecosystems. He is a trustee of British Columbia’s Islands Trust Fund Board.
Personally, he enjoys spending time kayaking or, at least, writing fictional screenplays about himself kayaking.