R. Hoops Harrison*
Hoops Harrison practices in the area of civil litigation with a focus on corporate restructuring and insolvency related matters. He also specializes in employment law and operational matters specific to financial institutions.
Hoops has appeared before all levels of Court in British Columbia and Alberta as well as the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Commercial List).
His special interest in advocacy has provided him with the opportunity to be a speaker and panelist on a number of issues which include bankruptcy, post-secondary education and government policy.
- Realization Counsel for major financial institutions
- General Counsel for international auction, liquidation and valuation corporation
- Litigation Counsel for international facilities management company
- Litigation Counsel for franchisees and franchisors
- Counsel for commercial property entities regarding leasing and land disputes
- Litigation and General Counsel for employers
- Lead or associate Counsel in insolvency related litigation proceedings including: Nortel Networks Corporation; Forest & Marine Financial Corporation et al.; Canadian Petcetera LP. (see 2009 BCSC 1187); Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. et al; Linens’ N Things Canada Corp.; Experienced Equipment Sales & Rentals Inc.; A.& B. Sound Ltd.; Nexient Learning Canada Inc.; SMK Speedy International Inc.; GTS Energy Canada Inc.; Sport Swap Ltd.
- Perdue v. Chalet Europe Hotel & Management Ltd. et al.
- British Columbia Housing Management Commission et al. v. Downtown Eastside Residents Association Housing Society et al.
- Tobber Holdings Corp. and North Peace Savings Credit Union v. Tobber Holdings Corp.
- 269893 Alberta Ltd. v. Otter Bay Development Ltd., 2008 BCSC 807 and 2009 BCCA 37
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Board Member: Fraser Health Authority Patient Care Quality Review Board
- Board Member: Provincial Health Services Patient Care Quality Review Board
- Board Member: Vancouver Coastal Health Authority Patient Care Quality Review Board
- 2006 Admitted to the B.C. Bar
- 2004 Admitted to the Alberta Bar
- University of Calgary, LL.B./J.D. (Dean’s List)
- University of Alberta, B.A.
Recent Publications + Presentations
Speaker, CLE Bankruptcy & Insolvency 2009, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act relating to Proposals
On A Personal Note
Hoops enjoys spending time kayaking or at least writing fictional screenplays about him kayaking.