Steve Carey articled at the Federal Court of Canada before beginning practice with Alexander Holburn. At the Federal Court, Steve clerked for a number of judges, working in areas as diverse as personal injury, intellectual property, maritime, labour and employment, and immigration law.
In 2012, Steve completed summer articles at Alexander Holburn. Steve has appeared for clients in Provincial Court, British Columbia Supreme Court, the Federal Court of Canada and assisted senior counsel at the British Columbia Court of Appeal. Steve is also a Registered Trade-Mark Agent.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Steve was a nationally published newspaper and magazine journalist, as well as a business systems analyst, supervising the design of large software systems for government, non-profit and private business.
Professional + Community Affiliations
Director-at-large, CBA Charities and Not-for-Profit Subsection
- September 2014 – Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- June 2014 – Admitted to the Ontario Bar
- 2013 J.D. University of Calgary
- 2007 B.Sc. Computer Science (with distinction), University of Victoria
Publications + Presentations
- October 25, 2016, “Welcome to the Societies Act”, Association of Law Libraries, Speaker
- October 14, 2016, “What is it to work? Work without a permit in Canada”, CLEBC, Speaker
- April 27, 2016, “From scratches and scraps to sunken ships: Understanding loss and damage to marine property”, Marine Insurance Association of BC, Speaker
January 21, 2016, Canadian Bar Association Charities and Not-for-Profit Subsection Meeting, Speaker
February 2014, “Salmon, jobs and community: Reconciling mass claims, individuality and aboriginal collectives after the Kwicksutaineuk/Ah-kwa-mish First Nation case”, The Canadian Class Action Review: Vol 9 Iss 2, (runner-up for the 2014 Harvey T. Strosberg prize in class action writing), Author
On A Personal Note
Steve enjoys volunteering in his community, cycling, physical fitness, home-brewing beer and cider from scratch, and most of all, spending time with his wife.