D. Christopher Fong*
Don’t let his youthful appearance fool you, Chris Fong has practised law for 29 years and been with Alexander Holburn for 26 of them. He began his career as a transactional lawyer in the United States and worked primarily as a barrister in Canada. Chris is a Partner and a member of the firm’s Insurance and Motor Vehicle Practices.
Chris Fong’s practice is litigation based with a considerable focus on providing fair compensation for injured parties. Mr. Fong is both a supporter of the tort system and public insurance, which acts as a guide to help ensure that injured parties are properly compensated. He has represented clients at the British Columbia Court of Appeal, British Columbia Supreme Court and Provincial Courts. Mr. Fong uses arbitration and alternate dispute resolution assists and negotiation of settlements to help clients find a quick resolution before legal proceedings become necessary. He has assisted clients with their contractual disputes in the area of shareholder disputes, business valuations and financial loss, life and disability matters. Mr. Fong provides clients with advice and strategies to enforce contractual rights and obligations mandated by federal laws.
Mr. Fong volunteers his time to The Law Society of British Columbia to assist in training young lawyers and to Indigenous organizations to assist with financial literacy and economic development.
Legal Industry Recognition
- 2006 – 2019 Martindale-Hubbell® Insurance and Motor Vehicle Distinguished® with high ethical standing
- Has been called to the bar for more than 25 years and has practised in California and Hawaii.
- Has worked on multi-jurisdictional claims in the United States and Asia.
- Is experienced trial counsel and has acted as counsel at all levels of courts in British Columbia.
- Has represented clients in all methods of dispute resolution including mediation, arbitration, and judicial settlement conferences.
- Has considerable experience in handling claims brought on by lay litigants, negotiated settlement before discovery and enforced settlements before the courts.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
- Hawaii State Bar, Member
- Hollyburn Country Club, Member
- BC Children’s Hospital, Circle of Courage Member, 2006 – present
- United Way of the Lower Mainland, Pioneer Leader, 2008 – present
Publications + Presentations
- Guest Instructor – Capilano University
- Guest Instructor – Professional Legal Training Course
- Civil Trial Judge – Professional Legal Training Course
On A Personal Note
Mr. Fong participates in firm sporting events such as the Vancouver Bar Association BC Law Firm Alpine Race, Tough Mudder and Spartan Obstacle Course Races. His curious mind is intrigued both by technology and indigenous cultures. He also enjoys food, travel and adventures that take him from mountain peaks to the ocean floor and everywhere in between.