Darcie A. Laurient
Darcie Laurient is a member of the firm’s Insurance, Local Government and Motor Vehicle Practices. Her practice is primarily litigation-based with an emphasis on personal injury, product liability, municipal liability and professional liability.
She brings to this practice a depth of knowledge and experience in the field of rehabilitation medicine, having a combined degree in Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of British Columbia. Ms. Laurient’s medical training and work experience have provided her with a detailed background in anatomy, physiology and etiology as well as a sound working knowledge of medical procedures and record keeping. Using this background and training, Ms. Laurient is uniquely able to manage cases involving medical issues and expert medical witnesses. She is a founding member of our Injury Assessment Team.
- Has appeared as counsel on numerous occasions in both the trial and appellate courts of British Columbia including appearing as counsel on a number of highly complex personal injury actions;
- Has been retained to team with law firms in other provinces to handle the damages side of cases involving catastrophic injuries; and
- Has considerable experience in the resolution of litigation through negotiation and mediation and has been successful in securing early and favourable settlements for her clients.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Medical Legal Society of British Columbia, Member
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, Member
- Richmond Family Place, Past Board Member
Publications + Presentations
Authored a number of papers and presented seminars for clients in industry related groups including such topics as:
- Structured Settlements
- Overview of Quantum Assessments
- B.C. Ferries Agreements
- Post-Accident Changes
- Policy Defences
- Privilege Issues