Emily Unrau is a member of the firm’s Insurance practice group. Her practice is litigation based and encompasses personal injury, occupier’s liability, property damage, and professional negligence claims. She also has experience bringing subrogated claims and defending first party claims against insurers.
Emily has represented clients in Provincial Court and Supreme Court as well as before the BC Human Rights Tribunal and Civil Resolution Tribunal.
- Cunningham v. The Owners, Strata Plan K 418, 2018 BCCRT 517: successful defence of a strata corporation against allegations of significant unfairness
- Mellor v. The Owners, Strata Plan KAS 463, 2018 BCCRT 1: successful defence of a strata corporation against allegations of significant unfairness
- Kasdorf v. Regan, BCPC 2016,(unreported): successful defence of an irrigation contractor against a claim in negligence
- Andrushko v. The Owners, Strata Plan KAS 1041, 2015 BCSC 2045: dismissal of a petition against the defendant strata corporation with respect to bylaw enforcement
- Bradsher v. St. John’s Vancouver Anglican Church, 2015 BCHRT 32: successful application to dismiss a human rights complaint for failure to file within time limits
- Omond v. First Avenue Christian Assembly et al., 2014 BCPC 316: successful defence of an occupiers liability claim involving a trip and fall
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
Publications + Presentations
- May 2018, “Strata, Cannabis and Policy Renewal Trends”, Insurance Institute of BC Seminar, Speaker
- May 2017, “Trending Topics in Tort Law: Occupiers’ Liability (Commercial and Personal Lines”, Insurance Institute of BC Seminar, Speaker
- 2014 “Whither Canada: Why Don’t We Know Where to Litigate and Why Do We Take So Long?” BC CLE Civil Litigation Conference, Co-Author
- 2013 “Using Class Actions to Redress Historical Wrongs Committed by the Government”, Canadian Class Action Review, Author
On A Personal Note
In her spare time, Emily enjoys travelling, cooking, trying new restaurants and getting outdoors.