Ephraim Fung is committed to providing practical, efficient, and responsive advice to his clients.
Ephraim has a broad practice, with a focus on Real Estate and Business Advising.
Ephraim advises on a wide range of real estate and business matters, including acquisitions and dispositions, lending and refinancing, commercial leasing, and creditor solutions. He represents clients at all levels – from individuals and start-ups, to private and institutionalized corporations, often acting as general counsel given the breadth of his legal experience.
Ephraim is also a civil litigator and often draws on his court experience to advise clients in contract negotiations and to offer immediate solutions at all stages of business transactions.
Ephraim is a member of the firm’s Real Estate, Business Disputes, Labour + Employment, Wills, Estates + Trusts, Cannabis, and Insolvency + Restructuring Practice Groups.
- Residential conveyancing and refinancing
- Commercial conveyancing and refinancing
- Representing vendors and purchasers on collapsing deals
- Lease reviews, negotiation, and drafting
- Advising commercial landlords on tenant disputes and evictions
- Lien removal and title correction
- General business advice to corporations of various sizes
- Providing practical solutions to creditors to recover accounts receivables and other debts
- Advising on employment issues, including agreement drafting, termination, representation in wrongful dismissal claims, and transition and retention of employees in business transactions
- Advising on the purchase and sale of businesses
- Private lending and security
- General residential real estate matters, including conveyancing, refinancing, contract negotiations, due diligence prior to subject removals, and dispute resolution
- Estate and incapacity planning, including drafting wills, power of attorney instruments, representation agreements; and committee applications
- Estate administration, including probate, resealing foreign estate grants, and other administration applications
- Advising start-up business owners on a variety of matters, including corporate organization, agreement drafting and negotiation, private lending, leasing and employment matters, and regulatory compliance
Ephraim has represented clients at all levels of court in British Columbia. His recent decisions include:
- Pai v. Ho (unreported): successfully obtained judgment for debts owing under a verbal loan agreement.
- Impact Recruitment Inc. v. Neon Buddha Ltd. (unreported): successfully obtained judgment for accounts receivable under a commission-structure contract.
- Ali v. Walters Estate, 2018 BCSC 1032: acted as co-counsel, representing a beneficiary in successfully defending allegations of undue influence and validating a gift of a life estate interest in a real estate property.
- Pacific Crown Investment Corp. v. Quirico, 2018 BCPC 258: defended tenants following the termination of their commercial tenancy, in which the landlord was only awarded one-third of their initial claim.
- Kenny v. Weatherhaven Global Resources Ltd., 2017 BCSC 1335: acted as co-counsel, representing an employee in obtaining an award of nearly $200,000 for unpaid bonuses.
Outside of the court process, Ephraim has assisted many clients in resolving their disputes. Examples of representative work include:
- Negotiating a six-figure settlement in favour of a vendor on a collapsed commercial real estate transaction
- Recovering sixteen months’ worth of rent in arrears from a commercial tenant and negotiating a subsequent lease on favourable terms to mitigate future issues
- Obtaining the full amount of a deposit and recovery of legal fees for a vendor on a collapsed residential real estate deal
- Negotiating a settlement in favour of a commercial tenant following their early eviction for redevelopment purposes
- Recovering accounts receivable on a six-figure invoice for a corporation, with additional compensation for legal fees expended
- Restructuring six figures of debt into a share purchase agreement
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers, Member
- Dundarave Festival of Lights Society, Director
- 2017 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 2016 J.D. University of British Columbia
Publications + Presentations
- September 26, 2018, “Managing Employee Absenteeism”, AHBL Lunch n’ Learn Seminar, Speaker
- May 2017, “For Real Property Lenders and Interest Holders: An Overview of the Evolving Legislative and Regulatory Regime Concerning Marijuana”, CLEBC, Co-Author
On A Personal Note
Ephraim is a die-hard Bo Horvat fan. When he isn’t watching the Canucks, he enjoys listening to John Mayer love songs, playing Mario Kart, and slappin’ da bass.