Janessa Mason is an Associate in the firm’s Labour and Employment and Local Government Practices.
Janessa represents a wide range of private and public sector clients, including small and multi-national businesses, non-profit organizations, local governments, insurance companies as well as private individuals. Janessa also represents clients’ in the transportation, technology, cannabis, construction, education, architecture and engineering industries. She advises and represents clients on a variety of matters, including contractual disputes, human rights and disability claims, WorkSafeBC complaints, tort claims and administrative proceedings.
Janessa takes an active role in understanding her clients’ goals, advising on best practices and developing practical solutions. She understands the significance of her clients’ employment and human rights issues, recognizing that hiring, terminating and resigning from employment can be the most significant shift in her clients’ careers. In addition, she also understands that discrimination, harassment and safety matters can be some of the most stressful and complex experiences for her clients. Janessa is committed to offering practical, strategic and sensitive solutions in reaching her clients’ objectives.
Janessa represents clients in such matters as preparing and implementing employment contracts as well as anti-bullying and harassment policies, conducting workplace investigations, mediating disputes and conducting trial. She regularly advises on workers’ compensation matters, wrongful dismissal claims, and disability insurance policies.
Prior to becoming an Associate at the firm, Janessa summered and completed articles with Alexander Holburn. She worked at Access Pro Bono, William Head Correctional Institution and the Law Centre in Victoria, where she advised and represented clients in employment, family, residential tenancy, human rights and criminal matters.
Janessa has appeared before the Provincial and Supreme Courts of British Columbia, as well as various administrative Tribunals, including the BC Human Rights Tribunal, the Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal and the Social Security Tribunal of Canada.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- CPHR (British Columbia + Yukon), Member
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE), Member
- Access Pro Bono, Court of Appeal Barristers’ Program, Volunteer Counsel
Publications + Presentations
- February 13, 2019, “Human Rights and Employer Wrongs – Emerging Trends in Human Rights Law”, BUILDEX Vancouver, Speaker
- February 1, 2019, “Employers Should Review Workplace Policies Following Cannabis Legalization”, Mondaq, Author
- September 19, 2018, “Emerging Issues in Human Rights”, City of Surrey Workshop, Speaker
- May 30, 2018, “Reconsidering Consideration in the Employment Law Context”, AHBL Business Law Blog, Co-author
- May 9, 2018, “The Pitfalls of Misclassifying Independent Contractors / Consultants”, AHBL Lunch n’ Learn Series, Speaker
- March 18, 2016, “Sentencing Mentally Disordered Offenders”, CLEBC Conference on Developments in Criminal Law, Speaker
On A Personal Note
In her free time, Janessa enjoys spending time with her husband kayaking, mountain biking and swimming in the ocean. She’s an enthusiastic traveler, an avid reader and a devoted fan of the Vancouver Canucks.