Janessa Mason is an Associate in the firm’s Labour and Employment Practice Group. She also represents private and public sector clients in the Human Rights and Local Government Practices. She advises and represents clients on a variety of matters, including contractual disputes, human rights, tort claims and administrative proceedings.
Janessa both summered and completed articles with Alexander Holburn. Prior to joining the firm, she worked at Access Pro Bono, William Head Correctional Institution and the Law Centre in Victoria, where she advised and represented clients in employment, family, residential tenancy, human rights and criminal matters. While earning her degrees, Janessa was the recipient of several academic awards, including Academic All-Canadian status at the University of British Columbia, and the Diana Priestly Award at the University of Victoria.
Janessa has appeared before the Provincial and Supreme Courts of British Columbia, as well as various administrative Tribunals, including the BC Human Rights Tribunal, the Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal and the Social Security Tribunal of Canada.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- CPHR (British Columbia + Yukon), Member
Publications + Presentations
- February 13, 2019, “Human Rights and Employer Wrongs – Emerging Trends in Human Rights Law”, BUILDEX Vancouver, Speaker
- September 19, 2018, “Emerging Issues in Human Rights”, City of Surrey Workshop, Speaker
- May 30, 2018, “Reconsidering Consideration in the Employment Law Context”, AHBL Business Law Blog, Co-author
- May 9, 2018, “The Pitfalls of Misclassifying Independent Contractors / Consultants”, AHBL Lunch n’ Learn Series, Speaker
- March 18, 2016, “Sentencing Mentally Disordered Offenders”, CLEBC Conference on Developments in Criminal Law, Speaker
On A Personal Note
In her free time, Janessa enjoys spending time with her husband kayaking, mountain biking and swimming in the ocean. She’s an enthusiastic traveler, an avid reader and a devoted fan of the Vancouver Canucks.