Jason D. Lattanzio*
Jason Lattanzio is a Partner and a member of the firm’s Maritime, Motor Vehicle, Insurance and Environmental Practice Groups.
Jason Lattanzio’s practice is primarily litigation based with an emphasis on dealing with general liability claims, coverage issues, material damage claims, contractual disputes, fraud, and bodily injury related matters. Mr. Lattanzio has represented a wide variety of clients on contractual and insurance related litigation in all levels of Court in British Columbia. He has further appeared before the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, and the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal on a variety of matters.
With respect to his Transportation and Maritime Practice, Mr. Lattanzio has represented the interests of Vessel Owners, Charterers, Terminal Operators, and Shippers of various products. He has further represented various Clients and Government Agencies in relation to maritime environmental issues, including spill response and remediation.
In addition, Mr. Lattanzio has extensive experience in handling personal or bodily injury claims for individual Plaintiffs as well as Insurance Companies including those related to catastrophic losses, chronic pain, complex regional pain syndrome, and psychological distress.
- Litigation arising in respect of multi-jurisdictional bunker disputes involving Canadian, US, Greek, Chilean and English actions.
- Conducting and defending Plaintiff’s personal injury claims including those relating to traumatic brain injuries, significant physical injury and psychological issues.
- Litigation relating to vessel arrest and maritime lien claims.
- Multi-party mediation claims relating to the contamination and damage of product in transit.
- Numerous mediations on a variety of matters including those relating to contractual disputes, fraud, liability disputes and bodily injury claims.
- Conducting and resolving Family Compensation Act and Limitation Act
- Litigation arising from alleged breaches of commercial agreements.
- Litigation relating to maritime environmental matters and debt collection in respect of same.
Some of Jason’s recent decisions include the following:
- ING Bank N.V. v. Canpotex Shipping Services Limited, 2017 FCA 47
- Canpotex Shipping Services Limited v. Marine Petrobulk Ltd., 2015 FC 1108
- Ranjbar v. Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines, 2014 BCSC 1983
- Fabretti v. Gill, 2014 BCSC 899
- Fabretti v. Singh, 2012 BCSC 593
- Wood v. Insurance Corporation of B.C., 2012 BCPC 107
- Bako v. Gray, 2012 BCSC 204
- Yeung (Guardian ad litem of) v. Au, 2008 BCSC 147
- WCAT-2008-02515 (Re), 2008 CanLii 49721 (BC WCAT)
- Watt v. Meier et al., 2006 BCSC 1341
- Barrows v. Wong, 2006 BCPC 407
- 652013 B.C. Ltd. v. V K Delivery & Moving Services Ltd., 2005 BCSC 105
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association Maritime and Insurance Subsections, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Defence Lawyers, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Young Lawyers Subsection, Executive Member, 2003-2005
On A Personal Note
Prior to law school, Jason volunteered for a number of years with young offenders through a mentoring program run through the Pacific Legal Education Association. He also volunteered and provided assistance at the Burnaby Youth Open Detention Centre.
In his spare time, Jason enjoys playing sports, cooking and reading. He also enjoys travelling, and has travelled extensively throughout Europe and Asia.