Jo Ann Carmichael*, QC
Jo Ann Carmichael, QC is a Partner at Alexander Holburn.
Ms. Carmichael’s practice is primarily litigation based. She is a member of the firm’s Insurance and Family Practices. Ms. Carmichael commonly represents insurers with respect to life, accident and disability insurance matters and has a particular interest in fraud and bad faith claims. She also represents clients in family law matters, dealing with many clients in transition due to death, divorce, second marriages and preserving wealth through marriage agreements and estate planning. Alternate dispute resolution techniques are extremely appropriate tools in both her practice areas.
Ms. Carmichael practices in the Supreme Court of British Columbia and the British Columbia Court of Appeal. She has also successfully represented clients before the Supreme Court of Canada in defeating applications for leave to appeal.
Through her years of service to the Law Society of British Columbia, Ms. Carmichael has developed a special interest in the ethical dilemmas of legal practice. She annually provides Ethics training to the firm’s articling students.
Legal Industry Recognition
- 2011 – 2019 Best Lawyers® in Canada Family Law + Insurance Law
- 1986 – 2019 Martindale-Hubbell® Insurance + Family Distinguished® with high ethical standing
- 2000 Appointed Queen’s Counsel
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Vancouver Bar Association, Director, 1982 – 1984
- Law Society of British Columbia, Bencher, 1998 – 2002
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Medical Legal Society of British Columbia, Member
- Discipline Committee, Member, 1998 – 2009
- Federal Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee, Member, 2002 – 2006
- Paralegals Task Force, Chair, 2001 – 2002
- Access to Justice Working Group, Chair, 2001
- Credentials Committee, Vice-Chair, 2001
- Credentials Committee, Member, 2000
- Equity and Diversity Committee, Vice-Chair, 1999
- Practice Standards Committee, Member, 1998
- Discipline Committee, Ad Hoc Member, 1996 – 1998
- Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Volunteer
- 2000 Appointed Queen’s Counsel
- 1977 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1976 LL.B. Dalhousie University
Publications + Presentations
Ms. Carmichael is a frequent speaker at Continuing Legal Education and insurance industry conferences. Recent papers and presentations include:
- October 2015, Canadian Family Law Matters: ”Defining ‘Excluded Property’ – Recent Developments Regarding the Effect of Transferring Property to a Spouse”, Author
- July 2010, Advocacy Workshop, Continuing Legal Education, Guest Speaker
- April 2010, “Examining General Exclusion Clauses”, Disability Claims Conference, Insight
- May 2009, “Challenges of Work Phobia and Risk of Relapse”, Canadian Life and Health Insurance Claims Section Annual Conference, Speaker
- May 2009, “Practical Mediation Skills for Counsel: Discussion of Best Practices”, Dispute Resolution Conference, Speaker
- April 23, 2009, “Work Phobia and Risk of Relapse”, Medical Legal Society, Speaker
- June 2008, “Life and Disability Insurance: A Primer”, Canadian Insurance Coverage Symposium, Speaker
- November 2004, “Recent Developments in the Law of Limitation Periods in Disability Insurance”, Continuing Legal Education, Speaker
- April 2004, “Defending Bad Faith Claims: Creative Approaches”, Insight
On A Personal Note
Ms. Carmichael enjoys home renovation projects, gardening, photography, wine (always) and cooking (sometimes).