Laura M. Hanson
Laura Hanson is a Partner and a member of the firm’s Insurance and Construction + Engineering Practices. Laura regularly acts as defence counsel for a wide variety of matters such as product liability, construction, personal injury, and professional liability claims, defending insurance brokers and engineers. Laura also regularly acts as coverage counsel for insurers, providing coverage opinions for all types of policies, including Homeowner policies, CGL policies, Director and Officer Liability policies and All-Risks and Wrap-Up and Course of Construction Policies.
In doing this work, Laura regularly acts for major insurance companies and companies who are self-insured. She defends retailers, business owners and homeowners relating to personal injury matters, manufacturers and distributors in relation to product liability issues, and developers, contractors and engineers sued in relation to construction and professional liability matters.
Laura’s practice focuses extensively on negotiation and mediation. She regularly participates in mediations for her clients in advance of trial and has extensive experience resolving claims by negotiation at or prior to mediation. She also has experience doing arbitration work and regularly appears before the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
Prior to joining Alexander Holburn, Laura practiced at a large international law firm in Alberta where she practiced primarily in the area of general commercial litigation.
- Extensive experience resolving claims by negotiation or attendance at mediation in advance of trial
- Regularly appears before the Supreme Court of British Columbia
- Defends retailers, business owners and homeowners in relation to claims advanced under the Occupiers Liability Act relating to personal injury matters
- Defends manufacturers and distributors in relation to claims advanced under the Sale of Goods Act relating to product liability issues
- Defends developers, contractors and engineers sued in relation to construction related matters
- Provides coverage opinions for insurers for all types of policies, including homeowner policies, CGL, All-Risks and Wrap-Up and Course of Construction Policies
- Prosecutes subrogated actions for insurers
- Represented an electricity company in Alberta in two arbitrations
- Represented an employer at an Employment Standards Appeal hearing
- Represented a major Canadian railway company at trial
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of Alberta, Member
- Canadian Defence Lawyers, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association’s Insurance Subsection, Member-at-Large
- Women’s Insurance Cancer Crusade (WICC), Volunteer
Publications + Presentations
- Regular presenter for her insurance clients on a variety topics pertaining to both insurance defence and coverage work
- October 2016, “Unintentionally Extending a Plaintiff’s Limitation Period“, AHBL Insurance Law Blog, Author
- February 2014, “Beware of Bears”, Dogwood Express, Winter Edition, Author
On A Personal Note
Outside of the office, Laura enjoys spending time with her husband and three young children.