Michael V. Roche*
Michael Roche’s practice is focused on business and commercial law. He is a member of the firm’s Corporate/Commercial, Mergers + Acquisitions, Construction + Engineering and Health Law Practices.
Mr. Roche’s practice has an emphasis on corporate and financial structuring and restructuring, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, workouts, joint ventures, complex and international contractual matters and corporate governance.
Mr. Roche has particular expertise in advising manufacturers, importers and exporters of products, technologies and services, including international long term supply contracts, distribution agreements and the protection and international licensing of intellectual property. Mr. Roche served on the Board of Directors of Canadian Manufacturers + Exporters, British Columbia Division from 2002 to 2008, and was a member of CME’s Governance Committee.
His construction industry experience includes the preparation and negotiation of tender process materials, standard and custom commercial and governmental forms, design/build agreements, project and construction management agreements, prime, trade and material supply contracts, consultants’ agreements and bonding facilities.
In the health care sector, Mr. Roche has negotiated and prepared major agreements for the outsourcing of hospital services and the procurement of IT and other equipment for several of British Columbia’s health authorities. He has also been legal counsel to several leading British Columbia hospitals involved in the consolidation and merger of the health care sector.
Mr. Roche’s transportation practice includes advising cross-border freight forwarders in all aspects of their operations. He has acted for clients involved in the marine transportation and services industry including advising them with respect to the acquisition, disposition and operation of ships of various types and sizes. Mr. Roche has advised clients with respect to the manufacture, supply, acquisition and disposition of aircraft and aircraft parts.
Legal Industry Recognition
- 1997 – 2019 Martindale-Hubbell® Aviation, Health, Environmental, Corporate / Commercial and Construction + Engineering AV Preeminent® with high ethical standing
- Acted for a major forest industry company regarding a major upgrade to its facilities including the preparation, negotiation and settlement of all tender process documents and procurement contracts;
- Acted for a major international construction materials manufacturer and supplier advising on corporate structuring and re-structuring, acquisitions, dispositions, environmental issues, and the acquisition, mining, processing and distribution of aggregates and aggregates products;
- Regularly advises Canadian and international manufacturers in all aspects of their businesses including complicated and leading edge supply chain management agreements, product liability, import and export and customer supply agreements;
- Acted for major specialty value added wood products manufacturers including the acquisition and disposition of plant and equipment;
- Represents a number of architectural, engineering and accounting firms;
- Acted for one of Canada’s largest aerospace manufacturing companies in all aspects of its business including negotiating and documenting complicated design/manufacturing partnerships and other contractual relationships with major international aircraft manufacturers;
- Has provided comprehensive legal assistance to numerous developers of software and other intellectual property, from start-up to production and international licensing;
- Has for many years provided comprehensive legal advice to a major freight-forwarding company transporting goods cross-border, including providing advice and managing legal issues such as corporate structuring, labour and employment issues, customs and excise, sufferage warehouse issues, contractual matters and the acquisition and development of real property;
- Has acted as lead counsel in negotiating and documenting the international acquisition, management, refurbishment and chartering of a large passenger cruise ship;
- Has assisted clients in the acquisition,licensing, import and export of aircraft of many types from single engine rotary machines to corporate jets;
- Regularly provides advice to major national and international professional consulting firms providing services to the business, health care and educational sectors;
- Has provided comprehensive legal advice to companies involved in the gaming industry in British Columbia;
- Has provided corporate governance and general legal advice to the British Columbia component of a major international charity; and
- Has advised clients involved in the viticultural and premium wine production sector in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, including the acquisition of a major vineyard and grape supply contracts.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters, British Columbia (Governance Committee), Former Director
- Hollyburn Country Club, West Vancouver, Former Director
On A Personal Note
Mike loves being with his grandkids, is active in windsurfing, kiteboarding, golf, hockey, skiing, Himalayan trekking and other sporting activities. He also loves wine and should know more about it than he does. He is passionate about the people and the city of La Paz, Baja California Sur.