When a business dispute can’t be resolved, you need to consider litigation. Litigation that you can’t afford to lose. Litigation that needs to be resolved quickly. Litigation that needs to be fought. Litigation that needs to be settled. Litigation that needs to be avoided. Whatever your situation, we help you define comprehensive strategies at the outset of each matter. We then deliver responsive service against that strategic plan to help you achieve your strategic litigation objectives. We also understand the financial reality of business disputes and work to consistently deliver value by operating in a cost-effective manner.
We regularly act for clients in matters relating to commercial contracts and relationships, shareholder, joint venture and partnership issues, the purchase and sale of assets, commercial leases, equipment and other lease agreements, debtor/creditor relationships, asset ownership and use, including intellectual property assets, fraud, breach of trust and breach of fiduciary duties, distribution, agency and other such agreements, securities and real estate. We also have significant experience involving injunctions, including Mareva injunctions and Anton Pillar orders.
We believe in a solutions-oriented approach to litigation management. We are not tied to any single methodology and we look for the right answers, not just the obvious ones. We are widely experienced in all levels of court and are equally comfortable using arbitration and mediation in lieu of the courts in situations where that approach makes the most sense for our clients.
An Independent Voice
We are also an independent Vancouver-based law firm. That independence means our commercial litigators are not restricted by the interests of additional lawyers in Calgary, Toronto, Montreal or New York and that we are not likely to be conflicted out of major litigation.
- We have successfully obtained worldwide Mareva injunctions in cases involving the fraudulent transfer of funds.
- We obtained an Anton Piller order and implemented the order by attending a warehouse and gathering evidence in relation to a missing film library worth in excess of U.S. $30 million.
- We acted for a shareholder in a private company seeking a buy out of his shares and other relief from the court.
- We negotiated the buy out of joint venture partners following the commencement of arbitration proceedings.
- We represented a large cement manufacturer in an arbitration involving a shipping contract.
- We successfully defended a trust company in a case alleging a misrepresentation in connection with the sale of an apartment building.
- We obtained an order dissolving a partnership and selling significant real estate assets.
- We represented a software developer/provider in a complex, international licensing and distribution dispute and litigation.
- We litigated the wrongful sales of a client’s leased equipment and a related breach of trust respecting the proceeds of the sales.
- We conducted an international mediation under the America Arbitration Association’s International Mediation Rules involving Portuguese and British Columbian companies.
- We appeared as counsel on a rate application before a utilities commission.
- We appeared as counsel to oppose certification of a class proceeding involving pension issues.
- We prosecuted an action for removal of encroachments on a client’s property.
- We defended an action relating to an alleged breach of partnership dissolution agreement.
- We represented the defendant in a proposed class action alleging illegal interest rates on payday loans.