We represent and assist clients with a wide range of legal services within the Canadian cannabis industry. This fast-growing sector brings high-demand for changes that our lawyers are happy to help you navigate.
Our cannabis team is comprised of lawyers with a broad range of knowledge in many different sectors impacted by the new cannabis laws. They understand the federal, provincial and municipal requirements that can affect your business, and monitor the changes and updates in licencing and regulations so they are prepared to help you with any matter you or your company may face. As a regional firm, we have the local expertise and connections necessary to navigate and move projects forward. As a full-service firm with 80+ lawyers, we have the depth and breadth of knowledge necessary to handle your legal needs.
We provide our clients with cost-effective and responsive legal counsel on:
- Corporate and commercial transactions
- Regulatory and licensing requirements
- Public offerings
- Private placements
- Employment law and workplace issues
- Leasing issues, including acquiring land or facilities for producing, selling or dispensing product
- Insurance and risk issues
- Strata bylaws
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Real estate issues
- Environmental concerns
- Administrative requirements
Our clients include producers, retailers, distributors, cultivators, pharmaceutical and nutraceutical companies, technology providers, strata corporations and property management companies, public and private companies, insurers, human resource managers, tenants, landlords and institutional lendors.
- Preparing the corporate structure and providing general legal counsel to producers, cultivators and distributors.
- Acting for a cultivator/distributor of cannabis plants and products, including listing on the Canadian Stock Exchange, private placement financings and acting as their general corporate finance and securities counsel in Canada.
- Preparing employment policies regarding cannabis use in the workplace for many types and sizes of companies and institutional clients.
- Working with strata management companies regarding drafting of bylaws and general advice regarding the current and pending cannabis legislation.
- Advising potential retailers of recreational cannabis on the provincial and municipal permit and application process.
- Securing a work permit application for executive position of a producer.
- Representing landlords managing existing dispensary tenants and pending recreational cannabis retailers.
- Acting for a pharmaceutical developer of cannabis products, including negotiating joint ventures and product development transactions.
- Successfully defended insurance brokerage relating to coverage issues and allegations of errors and omissions involving a licensed grower of medicinal marijuana: Schellenberg v. Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company, 2019 BCSC 196.
Beyond advising individuals and businesses, our cannabis team frequently publish topical and informative articles to ensure our clients remain in-the-know of the latest industry updates. They regularly write articles for legal journals and post on our Business Law Blog. They speak to business groups and regularly attend seminars on a variety of cannabis-related topics.
Networks and Affiliations
If you require advice on a jurisdiction outside of British Columbia, we can call upon the expertise of our various networks and affiliations.
Through our membership in the ARC Group Canada Inc., we provide insurers and self-insured companies with insurance and risk-related legal services across Canada. This membership also includes an affiliation with Legalign Global, a network of four of the world’s leading insurance law firms. Through this network, we can respond directly and effectively to any global insurance claim.