Lanny N. Robinson*
Mr. Robinson is a member of the firm’s Labour + Employment, Business Disputes and Local Government Practices.
He is the Past Chair of the Employment Law Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association, British Columbia Branch and is a frequent author and lecturer, on matters pertaining to general litigation and more specific topics pertaining to local governments and employment disputes.
He has appeared as counsel in at all levels of court in British Columbia and has represented clients before numerous administrative tribunals in the province. He is a member of the Alexander Holburn Subrogation Recovery team.
- Kenny v. Weatherhaven Global Resources Ltd., 2017 BCSC 1335: Mr. Robinson was successful in obtaining an award of nearly $200,000 in respect of an employee for unpaid bonuses.
- Buchanan v. Introjunction Ltd., 2017 BCSC 1002: Mr. Robinson represented an employer in a wrongful dismissal case in which the employee was ultimately awarded damages of less than $15,000 following a trial.
- Mackey v. British Columbia, 2016 BCSC 1333: Mr. Robinson acted as co-counsel on behalf of an infant Plaintiff who sustained serious injuries following an accident. The Court found the Defendant liable and awarded significant damages.
- Rhodes v. City of Surrey, 2016 BCSC 1880: Mr. Robinson defended a municipality in a lengthy jury trial following which the Plaintiff was found to have been primarily responsible for her own injuries and her ultimate award was reduced by 75% to reflect her own contributory negligence and a further 75% to reflect a failure on her part to mitigate her losses.
- Liboiron v. IBM Canada Ltd., 2015 BCSC 1523: Mr. Robinson successfully obtained a judgement consisting of twenty months’ pay in lieu of notice on behalf of a wrongfully dismissed employee.
- George v. Cowichan Tribes, 2015 BCSC 513: Mr. Robinson represented an employee who was dismissed from her employment after more than 30 years’ service. The court fund that his client had been wrongfully dismissed and ordered the employer to pay more than $160,000, including $35,000 in aggravated damages.
- William v. City of Kelowna et al., 2012 BCHRT 8: Mr. Robinson obtained an order dismissing a human rights complaint against a municipality and its employee.
- Szczypiorkowski v. Coast Capital Savings Credit Union, 2011 BCSC 1376: Mr. Robinson represented an employee who was dismissed after nearly 18 years as a manager with a local credit union. The Court held that Mr. Robinson’s client had been wrongfully dismissed and awarded him damages in excess of $200,000.
- Fox v. Canyon Tree Farms Inc., 2011 BCHRT 258: Mr. Robinson obtained an order dismissing a human rights complaint made by a former student against a public, post-secondary institution.
- Vancouver (City) v. Suncor Energy Inc., 2011 BCSC 643: This claim concerned an application by the City of Vancouver for judicial review of a decision by the BC Human Rights Tribunal. Mr. Robinson successfully opposed the application on behalf of his client and the City was ordered to pay costs of the application.
- Booth v. Delta et al, 2010 BCSC 709: Mr. Robinson represented the Corporation of Delta in this action concerning a property dispute. He obtained an order dismissing the action with costs payable by the Plaintiff.
- Davis v. Surrey (City), 2010 BCPC 28: This claim concerned an allegation of property damage against a municipality. Following a trial, the action was dismissed as against Mr. Robinson’s client.
- Persall v. Bond et al., 2009 BCSC 1001: Mr. Robinson represented the City of Surrey in a significant personal injury action. He successfully obtained an order dismissing the action against the City.
- Kalsi v. Greater Vancouver Associate Stores Ltd., 2009 BCSC 287: Mr. Robinson represented an auto-mechanic in a wrongful dismissal claim in which he was alleged to have attempted to steal from his former employer. The Court found that Mr. Robinson’s client was wrongfully dismissed and that his former employer had falsely imprisoned him. Mr. Robinson’s client was awarded significant damages.
- Bayer v. Blue Button Club, 2007 BCSC 517: Mr. Robinson represented the estate of a deceased plaintiff in a commercial dispute. His client was awarded judgment of more than $400,000.
- Yakobi v. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce et al., 2007 BCSC 923: Mr. Robinson represented a national credit reporting agency in a claim for defamation and a number of other alleged wrongs. The claim against his client was dismissed, and the Plaintiff was ordered to pay costs at an increased rate.
- Li v. Huang, 2007 BCSC 1806: Mr. Robinson represented a defendant in a civil matter concerning an alleged debt. The claim against Mr. Robinson’s client was dismissed and the Plaintiff was ordered to pay “special costs” in the proceeding.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, British Columbia Branch (Employment Law Subsection), Past Chair
- Kekinow Native Housing Society, Board Member
- Port Moody Foundation, Past Director
- 2002 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1996 B.A. Simon Fraser University
- 2001 LL.B. University of British Columbia