Rebecca Cleary is a member of the firm’s Construction + Engineering and Insurance Practices.
Rebecca has an active commercial construction practice. She has assisted owners, managers and trades with contract drafting issues, contract disputes, builders’ liens and construction litigation. Rebecca has also defended construction professionals including architects, engineers, trades and land surveyors.
As part of her general insurance practice, Rebecca has defended professionals including dentists, optometrists, psychiatrists, insurance brokers, financial advisors, mortgage brokers and directors and officers. Her practice is primarily litigation based with an emphasis on civil and commercial litigation.
Rebecca has represented clients before the Provincial Court, Supreme Court of British Columbia, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and both the British Columbia and Alberta Courts of Appeal on a variety of interlocutory, trial and appeal matters.
She has also resolved actions through various forms of alternative dispute resolution including commercial arbitration and mediation.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Women in Construction, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- 2006 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 2005 LL.B.University of Alberta
- 2002 B.A.Simon Fraser University
Publications + Presentations
- November 2016, “How contractor claims for extras should be prepared”, Construction Business, Author
- July/August 2012, “When a lien won’t help”, Construction Business, Author
- British Columbia Builders Lien Practice Manual published by CLEBC, Contributing author
- September/October 2011, “Negotiating a subcontract”, Construction Business, Co-authored with Patrick Cleary
- March/April 2011, “Ambiguity – A common area of construction claims”, Construction Business, Author
- July/August 2010, “They breached the contract: Now what?”, Construction Business, Author
- March/April 2009, “Who gets paid when: Builders liens and priorities”, Construction Business, Author
- March/April 2008, “Delay: Who should pay?”, Construction Business, Co-authored with Norm Streu
- 2008, “Builders liens 2008 update”, Construction Law Update, CLEBC, Co-authored with Norm Streu
- September/October 2007, “Written change orders”, Construction Business, Co-authored with Norm Streu
- 2005/2006, “Using waivers to minimize risk”, Municipal Liability Risk Management, 7 Mun. L. R. Mgt. Nov. 2005, Co-authored with Bruno DeVita
- September/October 2006, “Don’t judge an RFP by its title”, Construction Business, Co-authored with Norm Streu
On A Personal Note
Away from the office, Rebecca spends most of her time enjoying Vancouver’s parks, beaches and ski hills with her husband and two young children.