Brendan J. Craig
Brendan Craig is an Associate in the firm’s Business Law Group. He is a member of the firm’s Corporate / Commercial, Corporate Finance + Securities, Intellectual Property + Technology, Real Estate and Banking + Lending Practices.
Brendan’s focus is on providing general counsel to businesses and societies, as well as assisting in corporate and real estate transactions. He has experience in mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, financing, corporate governance issues and drafting commercial agreements.
Prior to joining Alexander Holburn as an Associate, Brendan was both a summer and articled student at the firm. At the University of British Columbia, he completed a formal specialization in business law with an emphasis on intellectual property and corporate transactions. Brendan was heavily involved in university governance and received several awards and scholarships, including the Arthur Close, QC, Prize in Advanced Legal Research; the Oyen Wiggs Green & Mutala Prize in Intellectual Property; the Mr. Justice Walter Kirke Smith Memorial Scholarship; the Cyril White Memorial Scholarship; a Law Foundation Award; the Farris Scholarship; and a Law Foundation Scholarship.
In his past career, Brendan worked in the Information Technology sector.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Little Mountain Residential Care & Housing Society, Director, 2016-Present
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member, 2014-Present
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member, 2012-Present
- Canadian Bar Association, Member, 2010-Present
- University of British Columbia Senate, Senator, 2011-2013
- Appeals of Academic Standing Committee (UBC Senate), Member, 2011-2013
- Student Appeals on Academic Discipline Committee (UBC Senate), Member, 2011-2013
- UBC President’s Committee on Non-Academic Misconduct, Member, 2012-2013
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar, 2014
- Juris Doctor, University of British Columbia, 2013
- Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, 2010
Publications + Presentations
- April 2017, “How to build a foundation for a successful business acquisition or sale”, Business in Vancouver, Author
- March 2017, “A new year means a new frontier for buying and selling a BC franchise”, BIV.com, Co-authored with Scott Allen
- July 2016, “Top 5 facts about BC’s new property transfer tax on foreign buyers”, AHBL Business Law Blog, Author
- October 2014, “DIP Financing Basics and Recent Case Law”, Commercial Insolvency Reporter, Author
- 2013, “The Effect of Recent Litigation on the BC Real Estate Development and Marketing Act”
- 2013, “Legal Expenses to be Paid by the Estate in Committeeship Applications”
On A Personal Note
Brendan’s interests include playing guitar, home recording, attending live music events, spending time at his cabin, boating in Howe Sound, road trips and hiking with his dog, Farley. Brendan is a big fan of Vancouver’s booming craft brewing scene and enjoys visiting local breweries with his partner, Shanda, as well as the occasional trip to Portland. Prior to attending law school, Brendan travelled widely, including touring with a rock band in Europe. He now satisfies his rock-star tendencies by playing lead guitar in the firm band, All Hell Breaking Loose.
Assistant: Robyn Rhyason
Direct Line: 604.643.2138