Alexander Holburn’s Transportation + Logistics Group provides the full spectrum of legal services to the industry. With a broad depth of experience in international trade and supply chain management, we’ve built one of Canada’s most comprehensive law practices to service any aspect of the supply chain.
Our lawyers have been repeatedly recommended for Transportation (Road and Rail), Transportation Law, Shipping & Maritime Law and Aviation Law. We are recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2020 – 2021), Best Lawyers in Canada (2014 – 2022) and Who’s Who Legal (2016 – 2021).
We advise all industrial participants in global and domestic supply chains from manufacturers to freight forwarders to warehouse operators and we understand the movement of goods from British Columbia, across Canada, to the East Coast. We provide advice to clients in all modes of transportations including aviation, highways (truck & bus), marine, rail and pipeline with an emphasis on Intermediaries (3PLs and 4PLs), and technology companies that are asset-light and non-asset. In addition, we have experience handling customs and international trade agreements and work to ensure that privacy and security concerns are incorporated.
We are able to provide valuable industry perspectives and a deep and broad historical knowledge of the regulatory and legal regime. Our firm also has specific expertise in the supply chain, logistics management, and warehousing-related issues. We have experience with cargo claims, vehicular casualty work, environmental claims, coverage disputes, freight charge disputes, freight intermediary issues, transportation and warehouse contracting, regulatory matters, acquisitions, restructuring, and subrogation work. We have advised clients regarding, liens, warehousing, bills of lading, multi-modal, NVOCC issues, spoilage and more specifically, we have advised international manufacturer/shipper clients regarding Third-Party Logistics Services, Cross Border Long Haul issues (incl. NAFTA) and customs and excise tax issues.
Our transportation lawyers are experienced trial lawyers and have successfully represented their clients at all levels of courts across Canada and in the Canadian Federal Court system, including the Supreme Court of Canada. We are experienced in administrative and regulatory proceedings including the Canadian Transportation Safety Board, as well as in commercial arbitration and mediation. From routine commercial files to complex matters involving multimodal transportation networks and conflict of laws, we have significant experience in transportation and logistics management on a regional, national, and global basis.
- Represented US 3PLs with the acquisition of an agent
- Performed due diligence for various strategic acquisitions and work with PE
- Created licence agreement arrangement to protect 3 PL from liability potentially arising from non-exclusive agreements with sub-brokers and carriers
- Drafted US-Canada-Mexico Shipper Broker; Broker Carrier Agreements reflecting USMCA changes
- Obtained order regarding termination of Purchase Agreement for a CL-850 (Bombardier Challenger) without costs
- Successfully advised and defended high-value cargo claims
- Advised on licensing, registration and agreements for Canadian subsidiaries of many U.S. Carriers and Intermediaries
- Secured early dismissal of litigation on grounds of jurisdiction for 3 PL & Carriers
- Advised on all regulations re CTA, UAVs, and warehousing
- Advised and defended hostage cargo claims
- Currently advising and defending Korean international freight forwarder in a matter involving multimodal carriage and alleged theft of a cargo of silver ingots ($10m)
- Advised major international potash and grain shippers on legal aspects of the supply chain including ship charter parties and other contractual, regulatory and liability issues regarding product shipments
- Currently advising a major global supplier/shipper of methanol and its insurers in a variety of product loss/damage claims in multiple foreign jurisdictions including China, Spain and the Netherlands
- Current and defending large global freight forwarder and NVOCC subsidiary/affiliate on liabilities for cargo lost or damaged during transit by ocean and/or land carriers
- Currently advising a North American freight broker on revisions to contracts with shipper-broker, broker-carrier agreements, and related legal issues
- Representing insurers and surface transportation carriers in casualties involving the loss of life, personal injury, and cargo claims
- Defending carriers and their employees in quasi-criminal and criminal proceedings relating to catastrophic accidents and traffic violations
- Counsel to a multinational construction company in a dispute involving the transportation of oversized components by water and truck
- Acting as counsel for shippers and carriers in arbitrations and litigation involving shipments that were cancelled or misdelivered, and cargo that was spoiled or damaged
- Negotiating charter parties and contracts of carriage by water on behalf of shippers in various industries
Our Aviation Group provides clients with comprehensive services on a broad range of aviation law issues. Our team acts on matters relating to all aspects of regulatory, licensing, tariff drafting/revision (international, domestic, charter, passenger and cargo), charter and lease agreements, corporate/commercial services, emergency response preparedness, airline claims handling, aircraft accident litigation, employment, immigration, environmental, and product liability issues. We bring decades of experience within the province of British Columbia as well as nationally and internationally.
Our Maritime Group handles shipping casualties, ship arrest, cargo claims, personal injury claims, marine insurance coverage disputes for insurers, priority disputes, commodity disputes, arbitrations, and most other legal problems involving ships or multimodal transportation. On the non-contentious side, we advise on ship sales, financing, charter parties, insurance policy wordings, commodity transactions, employment, flagging and most transactions involving any type of vessel.
In the rail transportation sector, the firm represents a major North American railroad in all aspects of its Canadian operations, including regulatory compliance, contracts, real estate, claims, employment, environmental, and other matters. We regularly interact with the Canadian Transportation Agency, Transport Canada and other government entities. Members of our group also provide advice to specialty carriers, passenger rail operators, railway consultants, and other organizations related to the railway sector.
Our lawyers are members of various transportation-focused affiliations including the Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Canadian Maritime Lawyers Association, Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA), Transportation Intermediaries Association (TIA), IADC Transportation Committee and we are recognized as thought leaders in these areas by our peers.