Living in a strata property or rental property can bring lively issues to your doorstep. Our Strata Property Group provides a wide range of services for those residing in strata properties and rental properties alike. We assist strata property owners, landlords and tenants throughout British Columbia, Ontario and across Canada.
Our team is experienced in a broad range of issues facing strata property and rental property living. Our lawyers are published authors and instructors for the BC Real Estate Council, the Condominium Home Owners’ Association (CHOA), the Professional Association of Managing Agents (PAMA) and the British Columbia Arbitration and Mediation Institute (BCAMI). We are also regular speakers at Buildex Vancouver, Western Canada’s largest seminar program for professionals in Designing, Building and Real Estate Management. Our lawyers have also earned significant recognition in the legal industry, and have been a legal resource for various print and television media publications. We have also assisted in the development and delivery of courses for strata property managers and rental property managers at Vancouver Community College and the UBC Sauder School of Business (Real Estate Division).
The Strata Property Practice Group offers a variety of solicitor and litigation services to owners, landlords and tenants of residential and commercial properties.
Our team also has extensive experience in solicitors’ matters, including:
- Preparing and reviewing purchase agreements
- Reviewing and advising on strata and rental property purchases
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating employment agreements
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating indemnity agreements
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating alteration agreements
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating residential tenancy agreements
Our team also offers dispute resolution services and representation in the following litigation matters:
- Human Rights complaints
- Privacy complaints
- Employment disputes
- Civil Resolution Tribunal disputes
- BC Provincial and Supreme Court proceedings
- Strata Property Act Arbitrations
- Residential Tenancy Branch Hearings
- Judicial reviews and appellate proceedings
Our team’s contributions to the strata and rental property management industry are demonstrated by our near-monthly speaking engagements and publications, and extensive community involvement. We regularly provide seminars on strata law issues to homeowners, strata council members, strata property managers, rental property managers, arbitrators and lawyers. We have been featured speakers and instructors for the Real Estate Council, the Condominium Home Owners’ Association (CHOA), the Professional Association of Managing Agents (PAMA), Vancouver Community College, Langara College, UBC Sauder School of Business (Real Estate Division) and the British Columbia Arbitration and Mediation Institute (BCAMI). We are also regular instructors at BUILDEX Vancouver, Western Canada’s largest seminar program for professionals in Designing, Building and Real Estate Management. One of our lawyers has also been featured in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory in the field of Property Leasing.
Our lawyers are also involved in legal education initiatives for the Vancouver Bar Association (2014 Strata Property Law for Solo & Small Firm Section), Law Courts Center (2014 Residential Tenancy Seminar for Amici Curiae Lectures), and the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC (2017 Strata Property Law Update, 2018 Strata Property Act Update, 2019 Strata Property Practice Manual). Our team has also regularly written for property management publications, (Canadian Property Management, Legal Life Newsletter, CHOA Journal and the Canadian Condominium Institute).
Networks + Affiliations
- Condominium Home Owners’ Association (CHOA)
- Professional Association of Managing Agents (PAMA)
- Strata Property Agents of British Columbia (SPA BC)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert ® Directory
We regularly assist clients with disputes before the British Columbia Provincial Court (Small Claims), British Columbia Supreme Court and British Columbia Court of Appeal, including bringing and defending actions and petitions. We also assist clients with residential tenancy disputes, human rights complaints, privacy disputes, employment disputes, defamation matters and arbitrations. We are familiar with the unique complexities of disputes involving multi-unit housing, and we work with our clients to decide the most efficient approach to their particular issue. Our notable cases include:
- Ganitano v. Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation 2014 BCCA 10
- Kamerling v. Chew 2015 BCSC 881
- Berezowski v. British Columbia (Residential Tenancy Branch) 2014 BCSC 363
- 625536 BC Ltd. v. The Owners, Strata Plan LMS 4385, 2017 BCSC 1250
- The Owners, Strata Plan NW 2575 v. Booth, 2018 BCSC 715
- Jay v. The Owners Strata Plan NW 3353, 2018 BCSC 780
- Ducharme et al v. The Owners, Strata Plan BCS 753, 2018 BCCRT 262
Our Litigation Work
Our lawyers are experienced in a broad range of issues that call for dispute resolution. We regularly assist clients with disputes before the British Columbia Provincial Court (Small Claims), British Columbia Supreme Court, British Columbia Court of Appeal, Residential Tenancy Branch and Human Rights Tribunal. We also assist clients with privacy disputes, defamation matters and arbitrations.