With cyber attacks becoming an inevitable business risk for companies of all sizes, Alexander Holburn’s Cyber Breach Response + Defense Group is well-suited to providing the urgent breach coaching clients require.
Our Cyber Breach Response + Defense Group understands Canada’s complex and nuanced privacy legislation framework and the various provincial and federal privacy statutes and regulations with which our clients must comply.
We understand that this area of practice frequently requires quick action and we respond accordingly.
CYBER BREACH RESPONSE SERVICES
We advise both public and private sector clients on:
- Cyber breach response coaching & management;
- Minimizing the various financial, legal and reputational risks that cyber incidents present;
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable statutory privacy obligations; and
- Preserving and protecting the evidentiary record that may come to light in situations where legal actions or privacy complaints cannot be avoided.
CYBER BREACH RESPONSE COUNSELLING
Our lawyers have extensive experience in all aspects of cyber risks and providing breach counselling to public and private sector clients in a variety of privacy breaches and cybersecurity threats. In particular, we provide urgent breach coaching to our clients when they are faced with cyber events including cybercriminals launching ransomware and phishing attacks, as well as those involving rogue employees either causing small-scale or wide-reaching privacy breaches.
Our breadth of experience includes diligently defending legal actions involving privacy and cyber-related claims, including those based on common law tort and breach of contract claims, statutory claims, and vicarious liability claims.
Where the cybersecurity incident has a global impact, we are experienced in collaborating with counsel in other jurisdictions through our global affiliations Law Firm Alliance and, as members of the Legalign Global Cyber Breach Response team.
RESOURCES AND WORK WITH SECURITY, FORENSIC AND PUBLIC RELATIONS EXPERTS
We are experienced in retaining and working with forensic and security experts. We are vigilant in ensuring that solicitor client privilege is maintained over all potentially sensitive communications, including internal client communications speculating on potential causes of the breach.
Recent Publications & Presentations
- April 14, 2021, “Legalign Global presents We’ve Been Hacked! Now What?”, New York Chapter of RIMS, Presented by Brianne Kingston
- November 11, 2020, “Cyber“, Critical Uncertainties Webinar Series Autumn 2020 (Joint Presentation by the Legalign Global Breach Response Team), Presented by Karen Zimmer
- October 2020, “Critical Uncertainties – Technology – Four mismatches and misconceptions that could cost cyber dear”, a joint publication by the Legalign Global Cyber Team. Contributed by Karen Zimmer
- April 8, 2020, “Protecting Your Organization from Cyber Attacks While Implementing COVID-19 Remote Working Protocols”, Co-Authors, Karen Zimmer & Brianne Kingston
- September 21, 2018, “Privacy Breach by Your Employee: Are you Liable?“, Author, Karen Zimmer.
- May 4, 2018, “Damages and Other Consequences for Breaching Privacy”, Risk Management Branch Conference Vancouver, Presented by Karen Zimmer