We can assist you with all issues related to your employees. We know workplace laws. From hirings, promotions, discipline, termination, disability or restrictive covenants, we can help.
We pride ourselves on providing clients with timely and strategic advice in a manner that addresses each client’s unique workplace circumstances.
We provide advice on a wide range of workplace issues in both unionized and non-unionized business environments. Our experience includes employment law matters including wrongful and constructive dismissal, employee disability, employment standards interpretation and pensions and benefits. See the separate discussion of Labour Relations and Workers Compensation services.
Our experience includes:
- Contract drafting
- Consultant / independent contractor advice
- Disability management
- Restrictive covenants
- Employment standards
- Court proceedings
Recognizing the unique needs of every client, our employment lawyers are dedicated to finding practical and creative solutions to your issues. Advising on the contract of employment between the company and the employee is a central part of our employment law practice.
Additionally, we act as external counsel for a number of our corporate clients for their business immigration matters. We assist our corporate clients in obtaining Work Permits for their staff, including senior executives, management and specialized knowledge employees. We also assist our corporate clients in auditing their internal immigration policies to ensure they are in compliance with immigration laws.
Our services include drafting and reviewing employment contracts and policy handbooks for local and international businesses, providing strategic advice on restrictive covenants and confidentiality agreements, addressing issues related to accommodating disabilities in the workplace, advising on changes to terms of employment and dealing with employment terminations and any resulting litigation.
We advise clients – including pension plans, employers, plan members, third party administrators and plan trustees – on pension and benefits plans and the interpretation of applicable provincial and federal pension legislation.
- Working with employers to find the most efficient means of bringing employees into Canada, both temporarily and permanently
- Obtaining Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIA) or finding exemptions from this requirement
- Obtaining open and closed Work Permits
- Obtaining status in Canada for accompanying family members
- Facilitating the entry of short-term business visitors, such as executives, directors, contractors and others into Canada
- Obtaining expedited Work Permits for skilled global talents and Work Permit Exemptions for skilled professionals through the Global Skills Strategy program
- Assisting business owners and employees to become permanent residents of Canada through various programs, including the Economic Immigration Class (Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Program, and Federal Skilled Trades Program)
- Assisting employers in applying to nominate key employees to become Permanent Residents of Canada pursuant to Provincial Nominee Programs
- Assisting employers in responding to Employer Compliance Inspections
- Assisting employers in creating human resources plans to manage their obligations with respect to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, International Mobility Program and Temporary Foreign Worker Protection Act