Alexander Holburn’s Police Law + Liability Group represents municipal police departments and their members throughout British Columbia in a wide array of civil and administrative matters, including Police Act investigations, disciplinary hearings and judicial review of administrative decisions.
Our Police Law & Liability Group represents municipal police departments and their members in civil proceedings relating to the use of force, assault and battery, trespass, false arrest and Charter violations.
In addition, our Police Law + Liability Group represents municipal police departments and their members in administrative matters involving Police Act investigations, disciplinary proceedings and judicial reviews, employment matters and human rights complaints.
Our Police Law + Liability Group has worked with most municipal police departments in British Columbia and has developed excellent professional relationships with each department and many of their members.
Our Police Law + Liability Group has represented municipal police boards, police departments and their members, as well as municipal administrators and elected officials in a variety of high-profile police matters including:
- Arrests and detention
- Use of force and police-involved assaults
- Police pursuits
- Shootings and injuries
- Custodial deaths, assaults and overdoses
- Police agents and informers
- Failure to warn about potential offences
- Failure to apprehend an offender
- Lost or damaged property
- Racial profiling
- Mounted, canine and other specialized units
- Charter breaches
- Coroner’s inquests
- Covert operations
- Emergency response units
- Sexual assault and harassment
- Motor vehicle liability
- Malicious prosecution
- Negligent investigation
- Abuse of authority
- On and off-duty misconduct
- Privacy matters, including appropriate disclosure related to criminal record checks
- Judicial review of the services offered