Michael J. Nadeau*
Michael Nadeau practises in the area of civil litigation. He is a member of the firm’s Insurance and Construction + Engineering Practices.
Michael represents clients in a wide variety of legal areas, including personal injury and occupiers’ liability, sports and recreation, products liability, property damage, rental car insurance claims, and subrogated actions. Michael also has experience defending professional liability claims and, in particular, claims made against engineers and insurance brokers.
Michael regularly acts for self-insured corporations and major insurance companies. He acts as counsel for some of Canada’s largest retailers and commercial property owners. Michael’s insurance practice is predominately focused on defending personal injury and property damage litigation, and claims under the Occupiers Liability Act. As part of this practice, Michael also has significant experience handling matters involving indemnity agreements and additional insureds.
Prior to joining Alexander Holburn, Michael worked as a judicial law clerk at the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
- Regularly appears before the Supreme Court of British Columbia and Provincial Court of British Columbia
- Extensive experience in resolving litigation through negotiation and mediation
- Regularly defends and advises retailers, property and business owners, and maintenance contractors with respect to personal injury and property damage claims
- Defends and advises professionals, including insurance brokers, engineers, and mortgage brokers with respect to professional liability matters
- Defends and advises manufacturers, retailers, and distributors involved in products liability claims
- Prosecutes subrogation recovery matters for insurers
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Defense Lawyers, Member
- 2009 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 2007-2008 Judicial Law Clerk – Supreme Court of British Columbia
- 2007 LL.B. University of Victoria
- 2004 B.Sc. (Great Distinction) McGill University
Publications + Presentations
Michael frequently authors and presents seminars for clients as well as for lawyers and students as part of the Alexander Holburn Beaudin + Lang LLP ASCEND™ Series. Past articles and presentations include the following topics:
- Occupiers Liability Act
- Health Care Costs Recovery Act
- Limitation Act
- Pure Economic Loss
- Doctrine of Reasonable Expectations
- Rent Distress
On A Personal Note
In his spare time, Michael enjoys trying to keep his golf game in a reasonable state. He also enjoys barbecue grilling and travelling, with his most recent destination being the Caribbean.