Nicolas Pimentel is an Associate and a member of the firm’s Aviation and Insurance Practices. He completed his articles with Alexander Holburn and was called to the bar in 2017. He has a Bachelor of Arts in Classical Studies from the University of British Columbia and a J.D. from the Schulich School of Law at Dalhousie University.
Nicolas Pimentel’s practice is primarily litigation based. He has acted for a diverse range of clients in aviation and insurance related litigation in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland.
Within his Aviation practice, he has advised and represented aviation insurers, foreign and domestic airlines, aircraft operators, and maintenance organizations in relation to baggage, delay, and personal injury claims, aviation accidents and incidents, and other transportation related matters. He has also assisted on a wide range of regulatory matters including CTA complaints and TATC appeals.
Nicolas is an active contributor to Alexander Holburn’s Aviation Law and Insurance Law Blogs.
- Acting as counsel in the matters regarding aircraft hull, cargo, product and airport liability claims
- Acting as counsel in matters related to the delay or cancellation of flights and lost, damaged, or stolen baggage claims
- Acting as counsel in matters related to personal injuries sustained by passengers in the course of air travel
- Acting as counsel in matters related to occupier’s liability and negligence claims
- Providing regulatory counsel and advice to foreign and domestic air operators
- Acting as counsel for airlines in matters before the Canadian Human Rights Commission
- Assisting airlines with regulatory matters before the Canadian Transportation Agency and the Transportation Appeals Tribunal of Canada
- Acting as counsel in the defence of actions arising from aircraft collisions
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Air Law Section, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- British Columbia Institute of Technology, School of Transportation – Aviation/Airport Law, (2018-present), Instructor
- Richmond Rugby Football Club, Member
Publications + Presentations
- January 2019, “‘It’s a way of life. It’s no hobby…’ Money, Drugs and Drones – An update: Drones – Legal Update”, Winter Aviation Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Speaker
On A Personal Note
Prior to joining the firm, Nicolas spent a term working at the Dalhousie Legal Aid Clinic where he represented clients in family, residential tenancy, human rights, and youth criminal matters. In his spare time, Nicolas enjoys watching and playing a variety of sports as well as reading and exploring the outdoors. He is a lifelong supporter of the Minnesota Vikings football team.