Rebecca Cleary is a member of the firm’s Construction + Engineering and Insurance Practices.
Rebecca has an active commercial construction practice. She has assisted owners, trades and consultants with contract disputes, builders’ liens and construction litigation. Rebecca also defends construction professionals including developers, architects, engineers, trades and land surveyors, in a wide variety of error and omission claims.
Rebecca has represented clients before the Provincial Court, Supreme Court of British Columbia, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and both the British Columbia and Alberta Courts of Appeal on a variety of interlocutory, trial and appeal matters.
She has also resolved actions through various forms of alternative dispute resolution including commercial arbitration and mediation.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Women in Construction, Member
Publications + Presentations
- April/May 2018, “The Expert Witness”, Construction Business, Author
- January 2018, “Pure Economic Loss”, Construction Business, Author
- November 2016, “How contractor claims for extras should be prepared”, Construction Business, Author
- July/August 2012, “When a lien won’t help”, Construction Business, Author
- British Columbia Builders Lien Practice Manual published by CLEBC, Co-Author
- September/October 2011, “Negotiating a subcontract”, Construction Business, Co-Authored with Patrick Cleary
- March/April 2011, “Ambiguity – A common area of construction claims”, Construction Business, Author
- July/August 2010, “They breached the contract: Now what?”, Construction Business, Author
- March/April 2009, “Who gets paid when: Builders liens and priorities”, Construction Business, Author
- March/April 2008, “Delay: Who should pay?”, Construction Business, Co-Authored with Norm Streu
- 2008, “Builders liens 2008 update”, Construction Law Update, CLEBC, Co-Authored with Norm Streu
- September/October 2007, “Written change orders”, Construction Business, Co-Authored with Norm Streu
- 2005/2006, “Using waivers to minimize risk”, Municipal Liability Risk Management, 7 Mun. L. R. Mgt. Nov. 2005, Co-Authored with Bruno DeVita
- September/October 2006, “Don’t judge an RFP by its title”, Construction Business, Co-Authored with Norm Streu
On A Personal Note
Away from the office, Rebecca spends most of her time enjoying Vancouver’s parks, beaches and ski hills with her husband and two young children.