Shaun Foster joined Alexander Holburn as a summer student and completed his articles with the firm. He has a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Victoria and a J.D from Thompson Rivers University.
Shaun was called to the bar in 2016, and he is an Associate in the firm’s Aviation Practice Group. He regularly advises and represents clients in relation to personal injury claims, baggage, cargo and delay claims, human rights matters, CTA complaints, insurance coverage issues, product liability claims and aviation accidents and incidents. Shaun also represents clients in relation to motor carrier and intermodal transportation claims.
Shaun regularly speaks at aviation law conferences and is a contributor to aviation industry publications such as Wings and Helicopters magazines.
Shaun has appeared before the Provincial and Supreme Courts of British Columbia, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, and the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench. He is also a regular contributor to aviation industry publications, such as Wings and Helicopters magazines, and to Alexander Holburn’s Aviation Law Blog.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Ontario Bar Association, Member
- British Columbia Institute of Technology, School of Transportation– Aviation/Airport Law, (2016-present), Instructor
Publications + Presentations
- January 2019, “Legal Update: Liability Developments of Note in the Past Year: Canada (Common Law Provinces)”, Winter Aviation Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Speaker
- January 2019, “Getting the Deal Through: Aviation Liability 2019”, Canada Chapter, Co-Author
- July 2017, “The Aftermath of Germanwings” Wings Magazine, Author
- January 2017, “The Aftermath of Germanwings”, 18th Annual Aviation Conference, Speaker
- January 2017, “Cutting it close – Passengers found negligent for booking tight connections”, Travel Law Quarterly, Author
- September 2016, ” When is an airline not an airline?”, Wings Magazine, Author
On A Personal Note
In his spare time, Shaun enjoys playing, coaching and watching soccer. He plays for and coaches the British Columbia Lawyer’s Soccer Team, where he competed in 2016 at Mundiavocat, the “Lawyers’ International World Cup”. He also enjoys exploring Vancouver’s hiking trails with his 9 year old dog.