Sunjeet S. Deol
Sunjeet Deol is a member of the firm’s Insurance, Construction + Engineering and Motor Vehicle Practices.
His practice is primarily litigation based with a focus on matters involving personal injury, property damage, product liability, professional liability and commercial host liability.
Sunjeet has previously been active in the insurance industry as a broker and has a keen interest in insurance law.
Sunjeet has appeared as counsel before the British Columbia Supreme Court and Provincial Court. He frequently acts as counsel on casualty claims; prosecutes subrogated recovery matters; defends property damage claims and professional liability claims. Sunjeet also has experience in resolution of litigation through the use of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, such as mediation.
Some of Sunjeet’s specific experience includes:
- Successful defence of a $10 million product liability claim against a construction supplies manufacturer
- Provided coverage advice in relation to a $2 billion representative action against a major pulp and paper mill in British Columbia alleging decades of environmental pollution, nuisance and trespasses to property rights
- Provided coverage advice to excess insurers in relation to a $400 million + lawsuit against an engineering firm arising from a large mining disaster
- Successful defence of a product liability claim against a large scale distributor of electrical supplies in relation to a major fire loss to a residential strata complex in Vancouver
- Successful defence of a major Vancouver hotel in relation to a claim based on commercial host liability arising from an incident which resulted in catastrophic personal injury to the plaintiff
- Regularly acts on behalf of an international commercial property owner in relation to claims based on the Occupiers Liability Act of B.C.
- Regularly acts on behalf of a major road maintenance contractor based on claims involving significant personal injuries on provincial highways
- Successful defence of an international, best-selling author in a defamation suit arising from the publication of a non-fiction book
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Defence Lawyers, Member
Publications + Presentations
- 2013, “Overview of Liability Risks/Insurance Issues that Routinely Arise in Strata Corporations”, Buildex Vancouver 2013, Speaker
On A Personal Note
In his spare time, Sunjeet enjoys golfing, hiking, kayaking and camping. His other interests include architecture, interior design, hands-on building projects, electronics and technology.