Todd R. Davies*
Todd Davies is a member of the firm’s Insurance, Cannabis and Motor Vehicle Practice Groups. His focus rests on insurance litigation, and he regularly provides coverage opinions and handles subrogated matters for insurers. Todd’s particular legal interests and expertise includes occupiers’ liability, product liability, sports and recreation and professional indemnity claims. His clients comprise of a vast number of North American insurers, Lloyd’s syndicates and self-insured companies.
Todd is the Past-President and an executive member of The ARC Group Canada, a network of independent law firms across Canada that focus on insurance and risk management. Alexander Holburn is the British Columbia member of this affiliation.
Legal Industry Recognition
- 2013 – 2019 Best Lawyers® in Canada Insurance Law
- 2016 – 2018 Who’s Who Legal Insurance and Reinsurance
- Acts as counsel in British Columbia to one of Canada’s largest retail corporations, handling its occupier’s liability and property damage litigation.
- Provides ongoing advice to a leading North American insurance brokerage.
- Regularly advises excess insurers and rental car companies on various issues arising out of the defence of motor vehicle cases exceeding British Columbia’s mandatory $200,000 liability coverage.
- Frequently handles all types of sports and recreation claims including those arising out of skiing, gymnastics, soccer, hockey, martial arts and baseball. Has also been involved in drafting waivers for various sports and recreation leagues, associations and related facilities.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member and Past Chair – Insurance Law Section
- Vancouver Bar Association, Past-President
- Canadian Defence Lawyers, Member
Publications + Presentations
- November 2016, “Limits of Relief From Forfeiture: Court of Appeal for BC Denies Insured Pre-tender Defence Costs”, Insurance People magazine, Co-Author
- June 2015, “Living Vicariously“, Canadian Underwriter magazine, Co-Author
- October 2013, “Host Liability’s Legacy – Raising a Glass to the 40th Anniversary of Commercial Host Liability”, Claims Canada magazine, Co-Author
- November 2012, “The Coverage Lawsuit and Bad Faith Claims”, Insurancewest, Author
- “A Guide to the Health Care Costs Recovery Act”, Alexander Holburn Beaudin + Lang LLP Insurance law publications, Author
- November 2009, ADR In Canada, Presented to Lloyd’s, Moderator
- April 2008, Product Recall, BC Risk Insurance Managers Annual Meeting, Speaker
- November 2007, “Where Will You Be Sued?” (Choice of Jurisdiction Clauses in Insurance Policies), Canadian Underwriter, Co-Author with Gary M. Nijman
- November 2007, “The $1 Million Liability Cap in British Columbia: Practical Implications for Rental Car Companies Doing Business in British Columbia”, article for Alexander Holburn Beaudin + Lang LLP Insurance E-alert, Author
- February 2007, “Foreseeability and Causation in Negligence Law as Explained by the Supreme Court of Canada: Resurfice Corp. vs. Hanke, 2007 SCC 7”, article for Alexander Holburn Beaudin + Lang LLP Insurance E-alert, Co-Author with Jeremy M. Poole and Bruno De Vita
- February 2007, Jury Trials, Annual Canadian Insurance Claims Manager’s Association Conference, Speaker
On A Personal Note
Todd enjoys spending as much time as possible with his three children. He loves to golf when his children let him.