Loren Mallett is the leader of both the firm’s Corporate/Commercial and Intellectual Property + Technology Practice and a member of the firm’s Health, Corporate Finance + Securities, Franchise, Aviation and Maritime practices. Loren is a registered Canadian Trade-mark Agent and is also the supervising lawyer responsible for the firm’s SmartStart™ Program.
On A Personal Note...
Loren is married with two kids and lives in North Vancouver. Outside of the office, Loren has completed 7 Tough Mudder events with current and former firm colleagues and continues training for future sports endeavours. Loren is also passionate about golf, travel and spending time with his family and his four-year-old Labrador-Retriever, Lucy.
- Protection and enforcement of client’s intellectual property rights including copyright, trade-marks, industrial design and trade secrets; protection of client intellectual property includes all forms of registration including the management of client’s domestic and international trade-mark portfolios. He also gives advice regarding the exploitation of client copyright through acquisitions, licensing and enforcement.
- Assisting clients who specialize in new media, mobile application and video game markets including preparation and negotiation of developer agreements, technology and software engine license agreements and industry specific employment and confidentiality agreements.
- Assisting clients who specialize in information technology, outsourcing, data centre management including preparation and negotiation of technology licensing, managed services agreements and service level agreements.
- Assisting clients who specialize in the health care industry including biopharmaceutical companies and health care providers relating to the preparation and negotiation of technology license and acquisition agreements, clinical trials management services agreements, service agreements and confidentiality agreements.
- Assisting clients with the commercialization of their innovative products and services including corporate and share structure advice for start-up ventures, debt/equity financing, stock option agreements, negotiation and preparation of supply, manufacturing, design and sales agreements and general advice relating to product development and launch.
- Assisting clients who specialize in maritime services, including preparation and negotiation of marine services agreements, charter party agreements, marine construction, commercial diving and environment response agreements.
- General corporate services to businesses ranging from start-up enterprises to large Canadian corporations: Loren advises various companies on issues relating to corporate structure and management, director’s and officer’s liability and the resolution of shareholder disputes.
- April 2018, “Buying and Selling a Business”, Business in Vancouver – Business Excellence Series, Speaker
- March 2017, “How Do You Ensure You Buy a Company’s Value?”, Business in Vancouver, Speaker
- March 2016, “Buying a Business: How Not to Buy a Lemon”, Business in Vancouver, Author
- April 2014, “Update on Privacy and Intellectual Property Law”, BC Lodging and Campground Association, Speaker
- 2012, Wedding Photographers Convention, Vancouver, British Columbia, Speaker
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- International Trade-marks Association (INTA), Member
- itSMF Canada, Member
- Association for Corporate Growth British Columbia, Member
- Vancouver Entrepreneur Forum Society, Member
- Canadian Trade-mark Agent