Jeremy M. Poole
Jeremy Poole is the group leader of the Local Government Practice and a member of the Insurance and Health Practices. He has represented local governments on numerous legal issues for over 20 years. He provides advice and representation to municipal police. He also provides representation and advice to the insurance industry defending a wide variety of claims relating to both property and personal injury matters.
- Trial and appellate experience in the British Columbia Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
- Use of summary trial proceedings where appropriate to resolve actions early in the litigation process.
- Use of mediation and negotiation as a means to settle cases efficiently.
- Acted on behalf of: municipalities in all aspects of their operations; municipal police; school boards; commercial occupiers and hosts; private building inspectors; builders, developers and contractors; motor vehicle owners and operators; homeowners; insurers on coverage matters; insurers on subrogation matters; and
- Conduct of a wide variety of cases including: severe personal injury claims including spinal injury and brain injury; flooding claims; fire losses; negligent misrepresentation claims; commercial host claims against bar and night club operators; occupiers liability claims; policing issues including excessive force, wrongful arrest and malicious prosecution claims.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Urban Academy Society, Director
- 1996 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1995 LL.B. University of Victoria
- 1991 B.A. Acadia University
Publications + Presentations
- 2012, “Finding the Tipping Point – When do Public Duties Lead to Private Law Duties of Care?”, Municipal Liability Risk Management, Vol. 13,
2, p. 17, Author
- August 27, 2010, Canadian Independent Adjusters Association Annual Conference, “Subrogation Issues”, Speaker
- Jeremy also regularly presents papers and seminars to clients on legal and risk management matters
On A Personal Note
Jeremy enjoys golfing in the summer and skiing in the winter. He is a volunteer coach with the Tri City Youth Basketball Association. He also volunteers as a society member and director of Urban Academy, a growing and vibrant independent K-12 school located in New Westminster.