John W. Elwick*
John Elwick is Senior Counsel with the firm. He is a member of the firm’s Labour + Employment and Insurance Practices. His employment law practice involves advising both employers and employees on employment law issues and acting as counsel in employment law litigation. A subset of this is his pension and benefits practice, acting for trust companies, third party administrators, employers and employees on various pension matters.
John’s insurance practice primarily involves his acting as local counsel for several national companies in life and disability claims as well as undertaking regulatory work for insurance companies. He also has an administrative law specialty in property tax assessment representing owners of commercial and industrial properties in tax appeals.
John has appeared as counsel before administrative tribunals and at all levels of courts in British Columbia and at the Supreme Court of Canada. He has also served as an arbitration board member.
Legal Industry Recognition
- 2019 Martindale-Hubbell® Labour and Employment, Insurance and Commercial Litigation Distinguished® with high ethical standing
- Acting as counsel in employment, pension, life and disability cases. Has appeared in class action cases involving group employee dismissals, pension plan windups and pension surplus cases.
- Appearing in insurance regulatory hearings before the British Columbia Utilities Commission as well as acting for insurers in matters involving National and Provincial insurance regulators.
- Representing industrial and commercial property owners in appeals before the Property Assessment Appeal Board and the courts.
- Serving in a general counsel capacity for British Columbia’s largest non-profit benefit society, coordinating legal work and advising in such areas as contract preparation, litigation and board governance.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- British Columbia Branch of the CBA (“BCCBA”), Member
- Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (Legal Section), Member
- Canadian Pension and Benefits Institute, Member
- Canadian Property Tax Association, Member
- 1968 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1967 LL.B. University of Manitoba
Publications + Presentations
- September 2018, “When a Broker Leaves a Brokerage, Who Owns the Clients?”, Canadian Underwriter Magazine, Contributor
- August 2018, “How to Prevent Brokers From Poaching Clients When They Leave the Brokerage”, Canadian Underwriter Magazine, Contributor
- February 2013, “Emerging Issues in Disability Management – Privacy: Rights, Obligations and Remedies”, prepared for and presented at the Canadian Health & Wellness Innovations Conference, Chandler, Arizona
- February 2013, “Emerging Issues in Disability Management – Duty to Accommodate”, prepared for and presented at the Canadian Health & Wellness Innovations Conference, Chandler, Arizona
- October 2012, “Administrative Services Only Agreements and the Duties of Employers in Disability Claims”, prepared for and presented at inSight Disability Claims Management and Litigation Conference, Vancouver, B.C.
- April 2009, “Protecting your Business With a Restrictive Covenant”, Canadian Underwriter Magazine
- June 2009, “Judicial Review/Commissioner’s Rates Appeals” prepared and presented at the Industrial Seminar organized by BC Chapter of the Canadian Property Tax Association
- April 2005, “Assessment & Taxation of P3s (occupation issues)” prepared and presented at a Continuing Legal Education seminar on Real Property Assessment
On A Personal Note
John moved to Vancouver from Winnipeg in 1967 to practice law. He and wife Penny, married 45+ years, have 3 married children and 7 grandchildren. A long-time resident of West Vancouver, John has been involved in various community activities, such as coaching soccer and serving on the board of the local swim club. He is a member of the Terminal City Club and a board member of a Maui condo association. Particular interests include golf, swimming, aqua-fit workouts, photography and overseas travel.