Scott Allen is a Business Lawyer who focuses on solving his clients varied legal needs with a personal and practical approach.
He is a member of the firm’s Cannabis, Intellectual Property + Technology, Corporate/Commercial, Information + Privacy, Corporate Finance + Securities, Mergers + Acquisitions and Charities + Non-Profit Practice Groups.
Scott manages a multi-disciplinary practice that assists and advises a diverse array of clients through their various legal needs, all with a focus on building and maintaining relationships. A sample of his legal services includes:
- Provides general counsel to businesses, from local business owners to institutional organizations, on various matters affecting the full lifecycle of the organization.
- Supports clients with their business transactions, ranging in value from less than $100,000 up to $100,000,000.
- Protects, enforces and manages client’s intellectual property rights including copyright, trademarks, industrial design and trade secrets as well as advises on strategies to develop and evolve manages client’s domestic and international trademark portfolios.
- Provides guidance on privacy matters, ranging from developing privacy policies to handling the privacy breach process.
- Assists non-profit organizations and foundations with their governance, regulatory compliance and day-to-day operations.
Scott has acted as counsel on the following recent matters:
- Advised local and foreign companies on trademark development, trademark availability, searching, trademark prosecution and opposition matters.
- Advised clients on tailored approaches to address the administration, proper use, licensing of, and policing of counterfeiting of varied intellectual property rights.
- Advised local cannabis companies on various local, provincial and national regulatory matters regarding retail sales, distribution and cultivation.
- Advised private company and public body clients on data protection and privacy compliance, risk management strategies, and privacy breach response.
- Advised clients on initial structuring and incorporation (plus subsequent restructuring) of their company and related key documents including incorporation shareholders’ agreements.
- Advised local cannabis company on a reverse takeover and listing on the Canadian Securities Exchange.
- Advised clients to obtain successful resolutions to trademark and copyright infringement matters.
- Advised private clients and institutional bodies with respect to various technology matters including service and licensing agreements.
Scott has represented clients on the purchase or sale of varied businesses or business assets, with recent transactions including:
- The purchase of local private excavating business and related industrial real estate for a local buyer.
- The purchase of multiple transportation and equipment businesses across Western Canada for a local buyer.
- The sale of a local natural resources business to a foreign buyer.
- The sale of a local film production company to a Canadian buyer.
- The purchase of franchised and stand-alone, private food and beverage business operations for local buyers.
- The purchase of a local design studio for local buyers.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Association of Environmental Law Societies Conference, Chair, 2015
- Vancouver Curling Club, Honorary Life Member and Past President
- Escape Velocity Cycling Club, Member
Publications + Presentations
- December 2018, “Health Canada Proposes Regulations to Restrict the Potency of Edibles, Beverages and Other Cannabis Products,” AHBL Business Law Blog, Co-authored with R. Howe
- November 2018, “Trademarks They Are-A-Changin’”, AHBL Business Law Blog, Author
- November 2018, “Navigating the Cannabis Landscape“, BC Business Magazine, Author
- June 2018, “Cannabis Legalization: The New Frontier“, AHBL Business Law Blog, Co-authored with S. Ashbourne
- June 2018, “Cannabis Legalization: What To Expect“, AHBL Business Law Blog, Co-authored with S. Ashbourne + E. Fung
- April 2018, “Indemnification Provisions: Buyer’s Protection in the Purchase Agreement“, Business in Vancouver, Author
- March 2018, “A Seller’s Promise: The Importance of Representations and Warranties“, Business in Vancouver, Author
- August 2017, “Privacy Law Cannot Thwart Business Interests”, BarTalk Magazine, Author
- April 2017, “Discretionary Powers and the Duty of Good Faith”, AHBL Business Law Blog, Co-authored with R. Howe
- March 2017, “A New Year Means a New Frontier for Buying and Selling a BC Franchise”, Business in Vancouver, Co-authored with B. Craig
On A Personal Note
Prior to shifting his focus to a legal career, Scott consulted for 15+ years on local, regional, provincial, national and international projects. Scott was focused on project management, games/event operations, corporate communications, logistics, media relations and community engagement for both non-profit and private organizations, some of whom included: Vancouver 2010 Bid Corporation, 2010 LegaciesNow Society, Artiss Aminco ULC, Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation, Wheelchair Basketball Canada, Make-a-Wish Canada (BC & Yukon section), BC Wheelchair Basketball, BC School Sports, and the Canadian Olympic Committee.
In his spare time, Scott enjoys cycling, curling, hiking, travelling near and far, enjoying local cuisine, golfing, basketball, and exploring the local live music scene.
Assistant: Robyn Rhyason
Direct Line: 604 643 2138