We represent and assist clients with a wide range of legal services within the Canadian cannabis industry. This fast-growing sector brings high-demand for changes that our lawyers are happy to help you navigate.
Our cannabis team is comprised of lawyers with a broad range of knowledge in many different sectors impacted by the new cannabis laws. They understand the federal, provincial and municipal requirements that can affect your business, and monitor the changes and updates in licensing and regulations so they are prepared to help you with any matter you or your company may face. We provide our clients with cost-effective and responsive legal counsel on:
- Corporate and commercial transactions
- Regulatory and licensing requirements
- Public offerings
- Private placements
- Employment law and workplace issues
- Leasing issues, including acquiring land or facilities for producing, selling or dispensing product
- Strata bylaws
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Real estate issues
- Environmental concerns
- Administrative requirements
Beyond advising individuals and businesses, our cannabis team frequently publishes topical and informative articles to ensure our clients remain in-the-know of the latest industry updates. They regularly write articles for legal journals and post on our Business Law Blog. They speak to business groups on a variety of cannabis-related topics.
- Preparing the corporate structure and providing general legal counsel to producers, cultivators and distributors
- Acting for cultivators/distributors of cannabis plants and products, including listing on the Canadian Securities Exchange, private placement financings and acting as their general corporate finance and securities counsel in Canada
- Preparing employment policies regarding cannabis use in the workplace for many types and sizes of companies and institutional clients
- Working with strata management companies regarding drafting of bylaws and general advice regarding the current and pending cannabis legislation
- Advising potential retailers of recreational cannabis on the provincial and municipal permit and application process
- Securing a work permit application for executive position of a producer
- Representing landlords managing existing dispensary tenants and pending recreational cannabis retailers
- Acting for pharmaceutical developers of cannabis products, including negotiating joint ventures and product development transactions
Networks + Affiliations
If you require advice on a jurisdiction outside of British Columbia or Ontario, we can call upon our international network of over 50 law firms located throughout North America, South America, Europe and Asia. Our membership in the Law Firm Alliance provides our clients with access to high quality and cost-effective legal services around the globe.