Ryan N. Howe
Ryan Howe was called to the British Columbia Bar in 2012 and is an Associate in the firm’s Business Law Group. He is a member of the firm’s Wills, Estates + Trusts, Corporate / Commercial, Corporate Finance + Securities, Franchise, Banking + Lending, Professional Services and Real Estate Practices.
Ryan’s practice focuses on professionals and owner/managers. His areas of practice include estate planning and administration, corporate commercial (including franchising), commercial real estate services, and banking and lending for institutional and private clients alike.
Ryan advises a number of local start-ups, professionals and entrepreneurs. He takes pride in forming and maintaining lasting relationships with his clients and facilitating business growth through cross-referrals.
His clientele finds that his multi-disciplinary competencies complement one another and provide significant value.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member;
- Canadian Bar Association, Member; and
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member.
- 2012 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 2011 LL.B.University of British Columbia
- 2008 B.A.University of British Columbia
Publications + Presentations
- April 11, 2017, “Discretionary Powers and the Duty of Good Faith”, AHBL Business Law Blog, Author
- April 4, 2017, “Buying and Selling a Business”, Business in Vancouver – Business Excellence Series, Speaker
- November 16, 2016, “Understanding Digital Assets”, Estate Planning Council of Abbotsford, Speaker
- November 4, 2016, “Legal Update 2016: Corporate and Personal Issues for Physicians”, BC Podiatric Medical Association, Speaker
- October 25, 2016, “Assisting accountants, practice sharing & successor arrangements” CPA Practitioners’ Potluck, Speaker
- June 22, 2016,“Death in the Cloud”, TELUS Optik Local, Speaker
- January 9, 2016, “Estate Planning for Professionals and Business Owners”, CPA of BC Burnaby/ New Westminster Chapter, Speaker
- April 23, 2015, “Legal Topics Facing Physicians”, UBC Obstetrics & Gynecology Resident Education Retreat, Speaker
- April 10, 2015, “Left out in the cold: Estate freezes and shareholder oppression”, AHBL Business Law Blog, Author
- February 7, 2015, ”Wills and Estates”, CPA of BC Burnaby/New Westminster Chapter, Speaker
- October 28, 2014, “Understanding Digital Assets”, Estate Planning Council of Vancouver, Speaker
- August 22, 2014, “Have you planned for your digital legacy?”, AHBL Wills + Estates Law Blog, Author
- February 20, 2014, “How Managers must act for stratas with sections”, Canadian Property Management, co-authored with Judy Rost
- October 29, 2013, “Survivorship Under The WESA”, Pacific Business Law Institute, Speaker
- August 28, 2013, “Wills and Estates Update – Notaries, Trusts and Probate”, AHBL Wills + Estates Law Blog
- August 1, 2013, AHBL Business Law Blog, “Proxies, private companies and he BC Business Corporations Act”
- December 6, 2012, “Digital Legacies: Electronic and Other Intangible Assets of the Estate in the Digital Age”, Pacific Business Law Institute, Speaker
- December 2, 2012, “Update: Changes to the Canadian Registry of Vessels”, AHBL Business Law Blog, Author
- October 2012, “How to Safeguard the Assets of an Estate”, AHBL Wills + Estates Law Blog, Author
- August 2012, “Understanding title Searches: Undersurface Rights”, vLex, Author
- August 2012, “Executors and Electronic Assets of the Estate”, AHBL Wills + Estates Law Blog, Author
- August 2012, “Storing and Protecting Your Estate Planning Documents”, AHBL Wills + Estates Law Blog, Author
- October 2011, “Property Rights in Domain Names”, Intellectual Property & Technology Practice, co-authored with Jill Corraini
On A Personal Note
Ryan grew up in Ottawa, Ontario, and spent three years in Auckland, New Zealand in the early 90’s developing a love for rugby and lamb burgers.
In his previous lives, Ryan was a video game Quality Assurance tester, filmmaker and part-owner in a film company and played both rugby and football for the UBC Thunderbirds.
In his spare time, Ryan enjoys golfing, playing squash and tennis, tasting new scotches and craft beer with old friends, and spending time with his lovely wife and their beagle.
Assistant: Kathryn Spencer-Sellam
Direct Line: 604.643.2146