Todd R. Davies*
Todd Davies is a member of the firm’s Insurance and Motor Vehicle Practice Groups. His focus rests on insurance litigation, and he regularly provides coverage opinions and handles subrogated matters for insurers. Todd’s particular legal interests and expertise includes occupiers’ liability, product liability, sports and recreation and professional indemnity claims. His clients comprise of a vast number of North American insurers, Lloyd’s syndicates and self-insured companies.
Todd is the Past-President and an executive member of The ARC Group Canada, a network of independent law firms across Canada that focus on insurance and risk management. Alexander Holburn is the British Columbia member of this affiliation.
Legal Industry Recognition
Todd has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the publication, Best Lawyers in Canada, since 2013 in the category of Insurance Law. For over 30 years, Best Lawyers has served as a reputable guide for legal professionals worldwide; over 70 countries are currently recognized by this service, allowing clients to identify lawyers who will best meet their needs. Todd is also featured in Who’s Who Legal for the category ‘Insurance and Reinsurance’. This prestigious UK publication provides an independent assessment, based on a rigorous peer interview process, of the top legal practitioners in over 100 national jurisdictions.
- 2019 Best Lawyers
- Acts as counsel in British Columbia to one of Canada’s largest retail corporations, handling its occupier’s liability and property damage litigation
- Provides ongoing advice to a leading North American insurance brokerage
- Regularly advises excess insurers and rental car companies on various issues arising out of the defence of motor vehicle cases exceeding British Columbia’s mandatory $200,000 liability coverage
- Handled a number of class action proceedings in British Columbia
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member and Past Chair – Insurance Law Section
- Vancouver Bar Association, Past-President
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Defence Lawyers, Member
- 1994 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1993 LL.B. University of British Columbia
- 1990 B.Comm. University of British Columbia
Publications + Presentations
- November 2016, “Limits of relief from forfeiture: Court of Appeal for BC denies insured pre-tender defence costs”, Insurance People magazine, Co-author
- June 2015, “Living Vicariously“, Canadian Underwriter magazine, Co-author
- October 2013, “Host Liability’s Legacy – Raising a Glass to the 40th Anniversary of Commercial Host Liability”, Claims Canada magazine, Co-author
- November 2012, “The Coverage Lawsuit and Bad Faith Claims”, Insurancewest, Author
- “A Guide to the Health Care Costs Recovery Act”, Alexander Holburn Beaudin + Lang LLP Insurance law publications, Author
- November 2009, ADR In Canada, Presented to Lloyd’s, Moderator
- April 2008, Product Recall, BC Risk Insurance Managers Annual Meeting, Speaker
- November 2007, “Where Will You Be Sued?” (Choice of Jurisdiction Clauses in Insurance Policies), Canadian Underwriter, Co-author with Gary M. Nijman
- November 2007, “The $1 Million Liability Cap in British Columbia: Practical Implications for Rental Car Companies Doing Business in British Columbia”, article for Alexander Holburn Beaudin + Lang LLP Insurance E-alert, Author
- February 2007, “Foreseeability and Causation in Negligence Law as Explained by the Supreme Court of Canada: Resurfice Corp. vs. Hanke, 2007 SCC 7”, article for Alexander Holburn Beaudin + Lang LLP Insurance E-alert,Co-author with Jeremy M. Poole and Bruno De Vita
- February 2007, Jury Trials, Annual Canadian Insurance Claims Manager’s Association Conference, Guest speaker
On A Personal Note
Todd enjoys spending as much time as possible with his three children. He loves to golf when his children let him.