D. John Goundrey*
John Goundrey is a Partner in the firm and the leader of the Real Estate Practice Group. He is also a member of the firm’s Corporate/Commercial and Health Practices.
John represents corporate and institutional clients in a broad range of real estate and other commercial transactions. He assists clients in the real estate sector with commercial, residential and mixed-use development projects, commercial leasing matters, lending and other transactions. He also assists clients in the railroad and trucking sectors with operational, regulatory and transactional matters. He assists clients in the health care sector in a variety of procurement, development and leasing matters relating to the construction and operation of health care facilities.
John recognizes the importance of accessibility and responsiveness and that the advice he offers must always be creative, pragmatic and cost-effective.
Legal Industry Recognition
- 2000 – 2019 Martindale-Hubbell® Corporate / Commercial, Environmental, Health, Local Government, Real Estate and Aviation Distinguished® with high ethical standing
- Acting for the developers of a range of real estate development projects including planned residential communities, and various residential, commercial and mixed use strata titled projects
- Acting for the real estate development subsidiary of a major financial institution in connection with a number of mixed use development projects
- Acting on the purchase and sale of office and mixed use towers in downtown Vancouver
- Acting for a major railroad on a number of complex infrastructural and other negotiations with local and provincial governments
- Acting for a major oil company in a broad range of real estate and associated environmental matters
- Acting for a number of British Columbia health authorities and other health care providers in connection with the development and operation of health care facilities, often as public-private partnerships
- Acting for substantial trucking concerns on a broad range of regulatory and commercial matters
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Real Estate Subsection, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Heritage Foundation, Former director appointed by Mayor and Council of City of Vancouver
- Sources Community Resources Society and Sources Foundation, Former President and Director
- Urban Development Institute (UDI), Member
Publications + Presentations
- July 2016, “Testing the Murky Legal Waters of an Urban Empty Homes Tax”, Business in Vancouver, Author
- 2009, “May All Good Deeds Go Unpunished – The Safe and Effective Marketing of a Green Project”, CLEBC, Author and Speaker
- 2009, “Peace, Order and Green Governance – Keeping a Project Green”, CLEBC, Author and Speaker
- CLEBC and University of British Columbia Law Review, Author and Co-Author of papers
On A Personal Note
John is a keen traveler and cyclist. He is also a runner and Bikram yoga enthusiast. He has a cabin on Saturna Island (one of British Columbia’s Southern Gulf Islands) where kayaking, hiking and making crab cakes is fortunately all there is to do. He has a keen interest in architectural preservation in Vancouver and beyond.