We represent clients in all aspects of British Columbia personal injury and motor vehicle law.
Our clients include both primary and excess insurers including out of province insurers in Alberta, Washington State and elsewhere, as well as rental car companies located throughout North America.
We recognize that prompt, insightful reporting is critically important to the success of our clients. As such, we focus on early file analysis, responsive reporting, and the early resolution of claims where possible.
Matters we frequently handle include motor vehicle-related claims for major property and economic losses, claims arising from complex and catastrophic injuries (including traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and psychological ailments), primary defence of out-of-province insureds, defence for excess insurers, coverage opinions, policy interpretations and subrogated claims.
We also provide legal opinions on unique aspects of British Columbia law, including the interplay between excess insurers and the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) when it is the primary insurer and the insurer of no-fault benefits, including watching briefs where ICBC counsel conduct the primary defence.
We are actively involved with the Canadian Defence Lawyers, the Defence Research Institute, the Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, the American Trial Lawyers Association, the Canadian Bar Association and its sections for Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Class Actions and Insurance Law. We are frequent presenters and contributors to several publications, including those for Canadian Defence Lawyers and Continuing Legal Education courses regarding effective and efficient handling of insurance claims, personal injury claims and trial advocacy techniques.
- We provided coverage opinion and recommendations to the excess insurer for minimizing its exposure after being retained very shortly before trial of a $6.7 million claim.
- We provided coverage opinion and successfully negotiated the ranking of the obligations of a travel insurer and ICBC for medical expenses.
- We defended the appeal of a plaintiff whose multi-million dollar claim was dismissed at trial, resulting in the dismissal being upheld.
- We defended claims of a plaintiff who sustained a moderate brain injury and multiple orthopaedic injuries, resulting in one of the lowest awards at trial for injuries of that nature.
- We assumed the defence from ICBC for an excess insurer on a catastrophic quadraplegic claim.