Barbara L. Devlin
Barbara Devlin is a member of the firm’s Motor Vehicle and Insurance Practices. Her practice is primarily litigation based with an emphasis on personal injury and medical issues.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Ms. Devlin obtained a Bachelor of Rehabilitation Medicine (now a Master’s Degree) from the University of British Columbia, attaining qualifications as an Occupational Therapist and as a Physiotherapist. She practised as a Chartered Physiotherapist. Her physiotherapy experience included serving as the Head of Physiotherapy at British Columbia’s Children’s Hospital and as coordinator of several other programs. She also has experience in orthopaedics and neurology, including brain injury, connective tissue diseases, and metabolic disorders. She has also taught through the University of British Columbia School of Rehabilitation Medicine and the Nursing Degree Program.
This extensive medical treatment background provides her with an exceptional understanding of the medical aspects of personal injury cases. Her health care administration experience has resulted in a considerable network of medical experts on which to call, and the ability to understand who is needed to comment on which type of injury. Ms. Devlin is a founding member of our Injury Assessment Team, which assists our lawyers and clients with an in-depth understanding of mechanisms of injury and resulting probable damage.
Ms. Devlin has extensive mediation, trial and appeal experience within the various areas of her practice.
Her community work has been largely focused on the provision of health services to the elderly. Ms. Devlin is an avid advocate for the VON Family Respite Centre, which provides day and overnight programs for families with dependent adult relatives living at home. She serves on the Board of the Victorian Order of Nurses, British Columbia Branch and has served briefly on the Board of the Health Advisory Association.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia;
- Canadian Bar Association. British Columbia Branch;
- Member, Board of Directors, Victorian Order of Nurses; and
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Health Advisory Association.
- 1990 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1989 LL.B. University of British Columbia
- 1975 Bachelor of Science in Rehabilitation Medicine, University of British Columbia
Publications + Presentations
- October 13, 2005, “Chronic Pain: Where Medicine & Law Intersect”, Medical Legal Society Dinner Meeting, Speaker;
- October 2004, Changes in Legislation Regarding Intermediate Care Homes, Health Administration Association, Speaker; and
- Co-authored and published research in medical journals.