James A. Dowler*, QC
James Dowler, QC is a member of the firm’s Insurance, Commercial Litigation, Environmental, Motor Vehicle, and Local Government Practices. His practice is primarily litigation based and focuses on property and casualty insurance. He has handled construction, government, municipal and school liability claims, as well as litigation involving points of administrative law and commercial litigation.
Mr. Dowler represents the Municipal Insurance Association defending cities, towns and municipal bodies on all aspects of municipal liability. For over 25 years, he has been actively representing school boards, hospitals and colleges on behalf of private insurers as well as the Schools Protection Program, the Hospital Protection Program and the Master Insurance Program. He has been retained to advise and defend these institutions on occupational, educational and recreational liability issues. As well he regularly advises clients on the scope, adequacy and applicability of insurance coverage.
Legal Industry Recognition
- James has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the publication Best Lawyers in Canada since 2011 for Insurance Law
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel for the Province of British Columbia, November 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking: Distinguished Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement
James has experience in cases involving claims against municipalities for flooding, nuisance, negligent building inspection and negligently passing by-laws, as well as tort litigation.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch, Member
- Trial Lawyer’s Association of BC, Member
- B.C. Civil Liberties Association, Member
- Canadian Defence Lawyers, Member
- Kelty Patrick Dennehy Foundation, former Director
- 2000 Admitted to the Yukon Bar
- 1981 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1976 Admitted to the Manitoba Bar
- 1975 LL.B. University of Manitoba