Michael L. Readshaw
Michael is an Associate and member of the firm’s Insurance Practice. He maintains a litigation-based practice with a focus on commercial host liability, professional liability, property damage, occupiers’ liability and personal injury matters.
He also routinely assists his clients with the resolution of a range of complex construction claims, including those relating to the Builders’ Lien Act.
Michael has appeared as lead counsel before all levels of Court in Alberta, the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the Saskatchewan Courts of Queen’s Bench and Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada and various regulatory bodies.
Michael joined the firm in 2018 after moving home to Vancouver. He previously practiced for more than 5 years at a leading regional insurance defence firm in Calgary, Alberta.
Some of Michael’s specific experience includes:
- Counsel for insurers of numerous strata corporations in subrogated claims each seeking damages exceeding $20 million in respect of fire losses
- Defence counsel for insurer of sole defendant in building envelope claim seeking damages exceeding $50 million with respect to allegedly negligent performance of work at numerous hotels and restaurants throughout western Canada
- Defence counsel for insurers of numerous international commercial property owners and maintenance and security contractors with respect to various nuisance, commercial host and slip and fall claims
- Defence counsel for various international errors & omissions insurers of:
- Insurance brokers in respect of claims alleging the negligent placement of coverage, and
- Financial professionals in respect of investigations commenced by the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada
- Coverage counsel for numerous national and international insurers regarding the interpretation and scope of coverage provided by a variety of Commercial General Liability, Course of Construction and Wrap-Up policies
- Defence counsel for insurer of a nightclub in respect of multiple claims arising from a shooting on the insured premises
- Defence counsel for a corporation in respect of a fatality prosecution under the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Successful resolution of numerous claims advanced and defended under the Builders’ Lien Act, including successful recovery of over $750,000 in funds subject to receivership under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Trial counsel for plaintiff employee to recover unpaid overtime wages resulting in an award of the entire claim together with costs and interest: Miner v. 1084351 Alberta Ltd., 2015 ABPC (unreported)
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of Alberta, Inactive Member
On A Personal Note
Michael enjoys playing and coaching rugby, snowboarding, golfing, sailing and surfing in his spare time.