Wade R. Winkler*
Wade Winkler is a member of the Corporate/Commercial, Mergers + Acquisitions, Banking + Lending and Real Estate practices.
Wade represents a wide range of owner‑managed businesses, including manufacturing, transportation, engineering, construction, commercial and industrial real estate and marine‑related industries. Wade takes a pro‑active role in understanding his clients’ businesses and their needs, advising them on their various agreements and transactions, as well as succession planning and tax‑planned reorganizations, working closely with his clients’ tax advisors.
Wade regularly represents both the acquirer and target in private M&A transactions. He understands that the sale of his clients’ businesses represent the most significant business transaction of their careers. Wade works closely with his clients, their tax advisors and consultants to lead them through every step of the sale process so that they are always kept informed and involved in reaching agreements that meet their objectives and result in successful transactions.
Wade also has comprehensive experience advising directors and shareholders of private companies on their rights and obligations, and preparing shareholder agreements.
Wade represents clients on the sale and acquisition of commercial and industrial real estate. He regularly advises his clients on the acquisition, construction and financing of industrial and commercial real estate for their businesses to expand. Wade also has significant experience advising clients on the sale of industrial real estate that contains areas of contamination and require remediation and/or obtaining a Certificate of Completion prior to completion.
Wade has also developed a great deal of experience in commercial leasing acting for both private and institutional landlords and tenants. He has significant experience in advising tenants operating marine‑related businesses on the negotiation of lease agreements with the Port Authority and riparian rights.
Wade has extensive experience in acting for both lenders and borrowers on business operating and construction development loans and related security. He regularly represents lenders on their more complex loan agreements when financing business acquisitions and development projects.
Wade has represented clients on the sale of their businesses and industrial real estate of significant value up to $49M. The types of transactions have included:
- The sale of a family owner‑managed business operating dealerships throughout the province selling a leading brand of heavy trucks.
- The sale of a family owner‑managed business operating a leading regional paving and aggregate sales business.
- The sale of a family owner‑managed business operating a specialized chain and sprocket manufacturing business.
- The sale of large industrial properties having multi‑tenants and areas of contamination requiring Certificates of Compliance prior to completion.
Other examples of representative work include:
- Representing a landlord in a complex expropriation negotiation with the Provincial Government for its South Perimeter Highway Project and its dealings with tenants having major business operations on the lands and public utilities.
- Represented a First Nation as a key member of the legal team responsible for the implementation of a major urban treaty. This required the negotiation and preparation of all land‑related documents to reorganize and register the legal interests of parties on the effective date of the treaty implementation in the Lower Mainland Land Title Office.
- Represented a key employee on her acquisition of one of the leading regional process serving and registry agents operating in British Columbia and Alberta.
- Represented a shareholder in the resolution of a long‑standing dispute with other shareholders of a significant company in the marine log and barge towing business which resulted in the negotiation and settlement of agreements to better‑define the business relationship between the parties, and to reorganize the companies to meet succession objectives of the shareholders.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- CBA Business Law Section, Member
- CBA Real Property Section, Member
- CBA Banking Law Section, Member
- Royal Columbia Hospital Foundation $1.35 billion multi-phase, multi-year redevelopment, Campaign Cabinet Member
- New Westminster Chamber of Commerce, Past President and Director
- 1992 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1991 LL.B. University of British Columbia
- 1988 B.A. Simon Fraser University
Publications + Presentations
- November 1, 2018, “Selling Your Business Successfully”, Business in Vancouver – Business Excellence Series, Speaker
- November 16, 2017, “Everything You Need to Know About Mergers and Acquisitions”, Surrey Board of Trade, co‑presenter with PWC and BDC
- October 19, 2007, “The Family Business – Selling to a 3rd Party”, speaker and co‑presenter with PWC
On A Personal Note
Wade enjoys travelling throughout the world, golfing, skiing, hiking, fishing and spending time with family.