Dianna S. Hwang*
Dianna Hwang is a member of the firm’s Health Law and Local Government Practice Groups. Her practice is primarily litigation based and largely involves representing public bodies, including municipalities and hospitals. Dianna works closely with her clients to achieve favourable results, whether it be representing their interests in court or through negotiating settlements.
- Trial experience in both the British Columbia Provincial and Supreme Courts and appellate experience in the Court of Appeal.
- Use of summary trials and mediation for efficient and early resolution of matters.
- Representing municipalities on a wide range of matters including occupiers’ liability, road maintenance and design, nuisance and abuse of process.
- Defending hospitals and nurses in medical malpractice cases.
- Representing clients in committeeship and estate litigation cases.
- Extensive experience defending complex personal injury and catastrophic injury claims, including spinal cord and brain injuries.
Representative cases include:
- Allen v. Bishop of Victoria, 2016 BCSC 1078
- Nerland v. Toronto-Dominion Bank, 2016 BCSC 45
- Chang Estate v. Chang, 2010 BCCA 111
- Re: Elsie Jones, 2009 BCSC 1723
- Mazur v. The Citadel General Assurance Company, 2005 BCSC 1371
- Mitchell v. We Care Health Services Inc. et al, 2004 BCSC 902
- Lawrence v. City of Prince Rupert et al, 2003 BCSC 465
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Medical Legal Society of British Columbia, Member
- 1999 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 1998 LL.B. Dalhousie University
Publications + Presentations
- September 2007, “Civil Litigation Basics for Legal Support Staff”, CLE British Columbia, Speaker
- 2004, “British Columbia’s Ultimate Limitation Period”, (2003-04) 5 Mun. L.R. Mgt. 6, Co-author
- 2003, “Misfeasance in Public Office: Adler International Investments Ltd. v. Central Okanagan (Regional District)”, (2002-03) 4 Mun. L.R. Mgt. 33, Co-author