Hollis Bromley is a member of the firm’s Insurance Practice. Her practice is primarily litigation based, with a focus on insurance defence and coverage. Hollis deals with claims ranging from bodily injury and property damage to employment and human rights defence. Hollis has a particular focus on professional negligence claims, defending professionals such as real estate appraisers, acupuncturists, chiropractors, optometrists, and occupational therapists. Hollis also defends out of province motor vehicle claims and has insurance coverage expertise, acting for insurers in relation to all types of coverages, including CGL, D&O, E&O, EPL, All-risks, Wrap-up and Course of Construction policies.
Hollis is an active member of the insurance defence legal community and has held a variety of executive positions for the Insurance Section of the Canadian Bar Association’s British Columbia Branch, including Chair of the section for the 2010 and 2011 terms. Hollis also sits on the executive of The ARC Group Canada, a network of independent law firms across Canada that provides insurers and self-insured companies with insurance and risk-related legal services.
Representative experiences include appearing before the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal and the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal on matters ranging from complex class actions and multi-party law suits being tried as class actions, to serious bodily injury claims such as traumatic spinal injuries, and insurance coverage matters.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Vancouver Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- The ARC Group, Executive Member
- CBA Insurance Section, 2010/2011, Chair
- CBA Insurance Section Executive, 2008/2009, Lower Mainland Registration Officer
- CBA Insurance Section Executive, 2007/2008, Secretary
- Women Lawyer’s Forum, Member
- Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Member
- Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.), Member
Publications + Presentations
- February 2017, “Looking to the Future”, Canadian Underwriter, P. 34, Co-Authored with Bruno De Vita
- August 2016, “Double Duty?” Canadian Underwriter, P.22, Author
- May 2016, “Puzzling your way through an insurance contract”, CLEBC, Author and Presenter
- September 2015, “Renewed Faith”, Canadian Underwriter, Co-Authored with Bruno De Vita
- Spring 2015, “More Open Interpretation?” Canadian Underwriter, Author
- August/September 2014, “The Mortgage Clause: Insurers and adjusters shouldn’t overlook the role of the standard mortgage clause in the property insurance policy”, Claims Canada, Co-Authored with Bruno De Vita
- April 2014, “Misrepresentation and Material Non-Disclosure – Avoiding Pitfalls”, Canadian Underwriter, Co-authored with Bruno De Vita
- June 12, 2012, “Reasonable Expectations Post-Progressive Homes”, Canadian Defence Lawyers Conference (Toronto), Presenter
- September 27, 2011, “Insurance Coverage Potpourri”, Canadian Defence Lawyers Conference (Vancouver) Co-Presented with Bruno De Vita
- June 2010, “The Decision is in the Bag: A Recent Win for Insurers on CGL Coverage”, Claims Canada, Co-Authored with Bruno De Vita
- September 2008, “Allocation of Defence Costs”, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, Insurance Law Conference, Co-Presented with Bruno De Vita
- “Understanding the Duty and Right to Defend”, Adjuster’s Quarterly, Co-Authored with Bruno De Vita
- A regular contributor to AHBL’s Insurance Law Blog
On A Personal Note
Hollis was born and raised in Vancouver and, being an avid West-Coaster, she enjoys skiing, hiking, boating, going crabbing and everything in between.