Lisa N. Mackie*
Lisa Mackie is the leader of the Strata Property Practice Group and a member of the firm’s Insurance, Information + Privacy and Real Estate Practices. Her primary areas of practice are Strata Property Law and Residential Tenancy Law.
Lisa received her Bachelor of Arts degree (with Distinction) from the University of Victoria, earning a Double Major in English and Philosophy. Prior to joining Alexander Holburn, Lisa worked in the law reform field as a legal researcher with the British Columbia Law Institute and the Canadian Centre for Elder Law Studies.
Legal Industry Recognition
Lisa is recognized by The Canadian Lexpert Directory in 2018 as a leading Canadian practitioner in the field of Property Leasing Law.
- December, 2016, “A Tax on Empty Homes is Not Enough to Fix the Problem” The Runner, Quoted
- October 2016, “Tenants would have a hard time fighting fixed-term rent loophole: lawyer“, Metro Vancouver, Quoted
- May 2016, “Does strata rental end when a unit is sold?“, Condo Smarts, Times Colonist/Province, Quoted
- July 2015, “It’s About Time: Navigating Rental Exemption Periods Under A Rental Disclosure Statement”, CHOA Journal, Quoted
- May 2015, “Burnaby Apartment Orders Dog Poo Samples”, CityTV Breakfast Television, Quoted
- May 2015, “Burnaby landlord unleashes inner pet detective in hunt for dog poop scofflaw”, National Post; Quoted
- May 2015, “Landlord hounds dog owners for fecal samples to sniff out ‘poopetrator'”, The Globe and Mail, Quoted
- May 2015, “B.C. landlord threatens eviction for dog owner”, Canadian Apartment Magazine, Quoted
- May 2015, “Landlord to dogs: sit and stool”, The Canadian Real Estate Wealth Magazine, Quoted
- May 2015, “Dog poop samples demanded by Burnaby apartment landlord”, CBC News, Quoted
- April 2015, “Landlords dealing with terrible tenants still have options,” BC Almanac, CBC News, Quoted
- October 2013, “No Vacancy: Refusing to Rent a Room or Campsite,” Dogwood Express newsletter, Quoted
- May 2013, “If it ain’t broke…: the Do’s and Don’ts of Evicting Tenants for Repairs or Renovations”, Canadian Property Management magazine, Quoted
- February 2013, “Resources in the community can tackle hoarding issue“, Vancouver Sun, Quoted
- March 2012, “Lady bug lawyer tackles legal creepy crawler issues”, Canadian Lawyer magazine, Quoted
Lisa has appeared before the British Columbia Provincial Court (Small Claims), British Columbia Supreme Court, and British Columbia Court of Appeal. Lisa has also represented landlords and tenants in dispute resolution hearings before the British Columbia Residential Tenancy Branch and judicial reviews before the British Columbia Supreme Court.
Professional + Community Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Vancouver Bar Association, member
- 2008 Admitted to the British Columbia Bar
- 2006 LL.B. University of British Columbia
- 2001 B.A. (with Distinction) University of Victoria
Publications + Presentations
Lisa regularly conducts seminars for the Condominium Home Owner’s Association (CHOA) and the Professional Association of Managing Agents (PAMA) across the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island. Lisa has also assisted in the preparation of seminars for the British Columbia Mediation and Arbitration Institute (BCAMI)
- February 20, 2018, “Rental Real Estate Re-licensing”, PAMA, Speaker
- November 23, 2017, “Real Estate E&O Legal Update for Rental Managers”, PAMA, Speaker
- August 17, 2017, “Real Estate E&O Legal Update for Rental Managers”, PAMA, Speaker
- June 22, 2017, “Strata Property Update”, CLE, Speaker
- June 2017, “Let’s Make a Deal – A strata council’s guide to settling disputes”, for CHOA AGM, Author
- May 10, 2017, “Settlement and Binding Orders”, CHOA AGM, Speaker
- May 8, 2017, ” Understanding How to Enforce Strata Bylaws”, Canadian Property Management, Author
- February 23, 2017, “Real Estate E&O Legal Update for Rental Managers”, PAMA, Speaker
- February 16, 2017, “After Your Residential Tenancy Hearing – You Have Your Decision – Now What?”, BUILDEX Vancouver, Speaker
- January 18, 2017 – “Where There’s Smoke There’s Ire: The Problem of Second Hand Smoke in Strata and Rental Developments”, PAMA, Teacher
- Fall 2016, “Over and out: When a strata lot sells, does a tenancy end?” Canadian Condominium Institute – Vancouver Chapter – Condo News, Author
- Summer 2016, “If it ain’t broke…The do’s and don’ts of evicting tenants for repairs or renovations”, R. Johnson’s Legal Life Newsletter, Author
- Summer 2016, “Over and out: When a strata lot sells, does a tenancy end?”, CHOA Journal, Author
- April 28, 2016, “Bringing down the house”, presented on Airbnb operations in B.C. at the IREM BC Conference – Real Estate Institute of Canada, Co-presented with Paul Mandes
- November 23, 2015, “Here’s the Deal: Answering your RTB-related Questions” at BC Non-Profit Housing Association’s Affordable Housing Conference, Panelist and Presenter
- November 18, 2015, “Real Estate Errors & Omissions Insurance Legal Update” for the Professional Association of Managing Agents (PAMA), Teacher
- April 2015, podcast for CBC radio on tenancy talk which addressed the topic of bad tenants, Presenter
- May 2013, “Practice Habits of Highly Successful Lawyers”, at CBABC Women Lawyers Forum Education Day entitled, Panelist
- Since 2010, Lisa has been a regular speaker at Buildex Vancouver, Western Canada’s largest conference and exposition for real estate, property management, interior design, architecture, renovation and construction.
- For several years, Lisa was also the instructor for Vancouver Community College’s residential tenancy law course as part of its Building Manager Certificate Program, and developed the course content.
On A Personal Note
Outside of the office, Lisa enjoys spending time with family and friends. An amusement park enthusiast, she also enjoys seeking out the latest thrill-ride attractions.